* IMAP missing SEARCH response
@ 2001-10-05  7:13 Ian Swainson
From: Ian Swainson @ 2001-10-05  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm trying to setup Gnus to use my local IMAP server. The logs indicate that the
connection etc is successfule, but I can't select the group. I get a "Missing
SEARCH response to a SEARCH command" Error.

Here's the .gnus entries:

;; Setup mail as the secondary select
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnfolder "Archive"
         (nnfolder-directory "~/mail-archive/")
         (nnfolder-active-file "~/mail-archive/active"))
	 (nnimap "Gridiron"
                (nnimap-address "gridiron")
		(nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX")
				     ))

))

(setq imap-log "*imap-log*")

The server buffer sees the correct number of messages.

I subscribed to the IMAP group as a foreign group.

Any help appreciated.

Here's the imap-log (snipped):

* OK qui-oui.com IMAP4rev1 server ready
1 CAPABILITY
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 AUTH=CRAM-MD5
1 OK CAPABILITY completed
2 AUTHENTICATE CRAM-MD5
<snip>
2 OK AUTHENTICATE completed
3 EXAMINE "INBOX"
* FLAGS (\Seen \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Draft \Recent)
* 38 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UNSEEN 2] first unseen
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1002137171] UIDs valid
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS ()] No permanent flags permitted
3 OK [READ-ONLY] EXAMINE completed
4 FETCH 1,* UID
* 1 FETCH (UID 1)
* 2 FETCH (UID 2)
<snip>
4 OK FETCH completed
5 SELECT "INBOX"
* FLAGS (\Seen \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Draft \Recent)
* 38 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UNSEEN 2] first unseen
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1002137171] UIDs valid
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Seen \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Draft)] .
5 OK [READ-WRITE] SELECT completed
6 UID SEARCH UNSEEN UNDELETED
* SEARCH 2 3 4 7 10 11 12 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 38
6 OK SEARCH completed
7 UID SEARCH SEEN
* SEARCH 1 5 6 8 9 13 37
7 OK SEARCH completed
8 UID SEARCH FLAGGED
8 OK SEARCH completed
9 UID SEARCH UNSEEN UNDELETED
* SEARCH 2 3 4 7 10 11 12 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 38
9 OK SEARCH completed
10 UID SEARCH SEEN
* SEARCH 1 5 6 8 9 13 37
10 OK SEARCH completed
11 UID SEARCH FLAGGED
11 OK SEARCH completed

Cheers,
Ian
--
fortune says:

Don't you feel more like you do now than you did when you came in?

~~~~~~~~~~~ Made in Ireland using GNU Emacs ~~~~~~~~~~~
Ian Swainson           Kia Ora!         ian@qui-oui.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.qui-oui.com ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* Re: IMAP missing SEARCH response
@ 2001-10-05  8:52 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-10-05  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Ian Swainson wrote:

> I'm trying to setup Gnus to use my local IMAP server. The logs indicate that the
> connection etc is successfule, but I can't select the group. I get a "Missing
> SEARCH response to a SEARCH command" Error.

The server is broken, but latest Oort Gnus should work around the bug,
please upgrade and try.  Do you know which server this is?

(See http://josefsson.org/nnimap/buggy-imap-servers.html#interchange for
the details.)

> 4 FETCH 1,* UID
> * 1 FETCH (UID 1)
> * 2 FETCH (UID 2)
> <snip>
> 4 OK FETCH completed

Out of curiosity, why did you <snip>?   Was it because the server
returned lots of FETCH lines?  Then it is broken in another sense as well
-- FETCH 1,* should return the lowest AND highest article, not all
articles in between.

* Re: IMAP missing SEARCH response
@ 2001-10-05 20:51   ` Ian Swainson
From: Ian Swainson @ 2001-10-05 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I'm trying to setup Gnus to use my local IMAP server. The logs indicate that the
>> connection etc is successfule, but I can't select the group. I get a "Missing
>> SEARCH response to a SEARCH command" Error.
>
> The server is broken, but latest Oort Gnus should work around the bug,
> please upgrade and try.  Do you know which server this is?

Yup. MDaemon 3.X by Alt-N technologies. On Windows. But in my defence, I am
desperate. Cyrus won't build (for me) on Cygwin. Nor will Courier. Even UW-IMAP
has problems running with authentication (for me, anyhoo). So I tried this. If
anyone can recommend a *proper*, open and free IMAP server on Windows, I'd be
eternally grateful. MDaemon, BTW, isn't free or open, and in 30 days (Trial period) I'll have
to think of something else ;)

> (See http://josefsson.org/nnimap/buggy-imap-servers.html#interchange for
> the details.)
>
>> 4 FETCH 1,* UID
>> * 1 FETCH (UID 1)
>> * 2 FETCH (UID 2)
>> <snip>
>> 4 OK FETCH completed
>
> Out of curiosity, why did you <snip>?   Was it because the server
> returned lots of FETCH lines?  Then it is broken in another sense as well
> -- FETCH 1,* should return the lowest AND highest article, not all
> articles in between.

Yes, the server returned a FETCH line for each mail.

Thanks a million for the prompt reply Simon, and thanks also for not berating me
for not looking up the archive properly (I noted soon after I had sent my query
that this very issue had been mentioned very recently... sorry about that)

Cheers,
Ian

--
fortune says:

Old musicians never die, they just decompose.