* customizing RHS of Message-ID
@ 2003-04-15 18:36 Jason R. Mastaler
From: Jason R. Mastaler @ 2003-04-15 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd like to see a variable that we can set that overrides
`message-make-fqdn' in `message-make-message-id'.  This is so I can
set the RHS of the Message-ID to an arbitrary string.  If you're
familiar with qmail, this is analogous to setting the QMAILIDHOST
environment variable.

This is for use with various anti-spam heuristics.  A simple example
would be that if a message arrives with my special Message-ID
contained in a 'References' or 'In-Reply-To' header, it's a legit
reply and can bypass my challenge/response system.  For this to work,
I need more flexibility than simply the FQDN of the machine I happen
to be using.

* Re: customizing RHS of Message-ID
@ 2003-04-15 20:12 ` Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2003-04-15 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jason,

    > I'd like to see a variable that we can set that overrides
    > `message-make-fqdn' in `message-make-message-id'. This is so I
    > can set the RHS of the Message-ID to an arbitrary string. If
    > you're familiar with qmail, this is analogous to setting the
    > QMAILIDHOST environment variable.

Would be useful, yes. Until available i use:

(eval-after-load "nnmail"
  '(defun nnmail-message-id ()
     (concat "<" (message-unique-id) "@ID-24456.user.dfncis.de>")))

(eval-after-load "message"
  '(defun message-make-message-id ()
     (concat "<" (message-unique-id) "@ID-24456.user.dfncis.de>")))

(add-to-list 'message-required-mail-headers 'Message-ID)
(add-to-list 'message-required-news-headers 'Message-ID)

Beste Grüße,
cu, -cc-
--
"Lieber ein kleiner Teil von etwas ganz Großem als ein großer Teil von
einem Haufen Scheiße." (Franziska van Almsick)

* Re: customizing RHS of Message-ID
@ 2003-04-15 20:35 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-04-15 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Apr 15 2003, Jason R. Mastaler wrote:

> I'd like to see a variable that we can set that overrides
> `message-make-fqdn' in `message-make-message-id'.  This is so I can
> set the RHS of the Message-ID to an arbitrary string.

Maybe you should upgrade your Gnus.  `message-user-fqdn' was added on
2003-02-20:

,----[ C-h v message-user-fqdn RET ]
| message-user-fqdn's value is "marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de"
|
| Documentation:
| *Domain part of Messsage-Ids.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| Defined in `message'.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: customizing RHS of Message-ID
@ 2003-04-18 18:59   ` Jason R. Mastaler
From: Jason R. Mastaler @ 2003-04-18 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> Maybe you should upgrade your Gnus.  `message-user-fqdn' was added
> on 2003-02-20:

Thanks a ton bud.