* Article Editing - header gets corrupted
@ 2002-01-30 14:39 Holger Sparr
From: Holger Sparr @ 2002-01-30 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

sometimes I want to edit an article in one of my nnfolder groups.  I am
used to do this by pressing `e' in the summary buffer.

After finishing with `C-c C-c' and redisplaying the article with `g',
articles with longer From-lines disappear.

Examing the nnfolder file suggests that the From-line gets filled like
this (`auto-fill-mode' is turned on via the `text-mode-hook'):

,----
| From longer.name@long.host Mon Jan 28
|      11:15:16 2002
`----

When I edit the file directly to:
,----
| From longer.name@long.host Mon Jan 28 11:15:16 2002
`----
the article reappears.

Is this a bug? (Maybe, it has been reported already.)

Holger

PS
When I edit the raw article (ARG is 1) everything works as expected.

* Re: Article Editing - header gets corrupted
@ 2002-01-30 15:24 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-01-30 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Holger Sparr wrote:

> After finishing with `C-c C-c' and redisplaying the article with `g',
> articles with longer From-lines disappear.
>
> Examing the nnfolder file suggests that the From-line gets filled like
> this (`auto-fill-mode' is turned on via the `text-mode-hook'):

The bug would be that you shouldn't do filling in the headers, or at least
not in the 'From ' envelope header.  As far as I can remember, nnfolder
uses the From envelope header to find where articles start, and it
requires that the line follows a certain format.

* Re: Article Editing - header gets corrupted
@ 2002-01-30 16:36 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2002-01-30 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jan 30 2002, Holger Sparr wrote:

> ,----
> | From longer.name@long.host Mon Jan 28
> |      11:15:16 2002
> `----
>
> When I edit the file directly to:
> ,----
> | From longer.name@long.host Mon Jan 28 11:15:16 2002
> `----
> the article reappears.
>
> Is this a bug? (Maybe, it has been reported already.)

yes, I reported this in August 2001 [1]. Recently, Lars made some
changes in gnus-sum.el [2] in order to fix it, but finally he was
unable to reproduce the bug [3].

> When I edit the raw article (ARG is 1) everything works as expected.

I didn't try this before. Maybe this helps to locate & fix the bug.

Bye, Reiner.
- - -
[1] http://www.gnus.org/list-archives/ding/200112/msg00518.html
    <v9vgj4pa4z.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>
    Subject: gnus-summary-edit-article and wrapped From-line

[2] e.g.:

,----[ lisp/ChangeLog ]

`----

[3] http://www.gnus.org/cgi-bin/wilma_hiliter/ding/200201/msg01063.html
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Article Editing - header gets corrupted
@ 2002-01-30 16:58   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2002-01-30 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jan 30 2002, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Holger Sparr wrote:

>> Examing the nnfolder file suggests that the From-line gets filled like
>> this (`auto-fill-mode' is turned on via the `text-mode-hook'):
>
> The bug would be that you shouldn't do filling in the headers, or at least
> not in the 'From ' envelope header.

No, the problem also appears without any auto-filling. I can reproduce
it with a minimal ~/.emacs, ~/.gnus and `emacs --no-site-file'. (See
the thread "gnus-summary-edit-article and wrapped From-line" starting
with <v9vgj4pa4z.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>.)

> As far as I can remember, nnfolder uses the From envelope header to
> find where articles start, and it requires that the line follows a
> certain format.

Editing the article should retain this format, but it doesn't. The
problem seems to be related to the call of rfc2047-fold-region in
rfc2047.el (see <v98zbg9x89.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,