From: Reiner Steib <4uce.02.r.steib@gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Incorporate message-utils.el?
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 22:12:25 +0200	[thread overview]

On Thu, Sep 12 2002, Kai Großjohann wrote:

> Reiner Steib <4uce.02.r.steib@gmx.net> writes:

>> [...] I thought, that it would be enough to add "(require
>> 'message-utils)" and merge the menu entries and key-bindings to
>> `message.el' (eventually adjust the key-bindings to the given
>> conventions).

> Maybe it's enough to add autoload cookies to message-utils.el.  Or
> maybe move the defuns to message.el.

>> [...] functions like `message-strip-subject-was' should be
>> integrated directly into the function building the subject and _not_
>> be called add a hook afterwards.
>
> Hm.  It's a point.  Would you like to do that?

Sorry, I don't think that I'm able to do what Holger suggested, or I
didn't understand it ;-), see (c) below. My knowledge about the
control flow in Gnus (and about lisp in general) is probably not
sufficient.

What *I* could do is:

(a) move the defuns to message.el or/and add autoload cookies to
    message-utils.el.

(b) add the menu entries and key-bindings. I suppose this has to be
    done in `message.el' no matter whether or not we put all functions
    in `message.el' or leave them in `message-utils.el'.

(c) put the function call of `message-strip-subject-was' to the spot
    in `message.el' where `message-header-setup-hook' is called. Would
    this be enough?

(d) What about the behavior of `message-strip-subject-was'? Should it
    be enabled by default? I'd suggest the following (I just added the
    behavior described in the doc-string to the function
    `message-strip-subject-was' and it works for me):

--8<------------------------schnipp------------------------->8---
(defcustom message-strip-subject-was 'ask
  "*What to do with trailing \"(was: <old subject>)\" in subject lines.
If nil, leave the subject unchanged.  If it is the symbol `ask', ask the use
what do do.  If it is t, always strip the trailing old subject.  See the
variable `message-subject-was-regexp' how an old subject may look like."
[...]
  :group 'message-various)

I could do it, if people think that this makes sense. But I don't want
to spend time on this, if it's unclear how the Gnus developers want it
to be done. What do you (Kai or others) suggest?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)