From: Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann)
Subject: Re: Incorporate message-utils.el?
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 21:32:56 +0200	[thread overview]

Reiner Steib <4uce.02.r.steib@gmx.net> writes:

> Sorry Kai, I haven't received your message in time before I started to
> change `message.el' (I had no net connection during the weekend), but
> I think we can always add your suggestion later. Up to now, I'm
> scrupling, because of the following (but I guess you will convince me
> finally ;-) ):

It's the other way round, I guess.  Read on.

> - Currently, I have the following code:
>
>   (defun message-reply [...]
>       (when gnus-list-identifiers
> 	(setq subject (message-strip-list-identifiers subject)))
>       (setq subject (concat "Re: " (message-strip-subject-re subject)))
>       (when message-subject-trailing-was-query
> 	(setq subject (message-strip-subject-trailing-was subject)))
>
>   Should `message-strip-list-identifiers' be in
>   `message-make-reply-subject-functions' too? Then m-s-l-i has to
>   check for `gnus-list-identifiers' and we call m-s-l-i even if g-l-i
>   is nil. For `message-strip-subject-trailing-was' it's similar:
>   m-s-s-t-w does nothing when m-s-t-w-q is nil.

This code looks good.  It convinced me: this seems to be the right way
to do it.  Also, it appears to blend well with the gnus-treat-*
variables which provide a similar interface for article treatment
(though I don't know whether the implementation is similar).

> - Assume we add new functions later and the user has changed the
>   default. If he used add-to-list it should be okay. What about
>   customize? Does it respect the (changed) default or does it apply
>   the (old) saved value? (Sorry, I don't use customize, so I don't
>   know.)

This is the same for all list variables in Emacs, so it's not an
argument, I think.  Eventually, all these cases should be resolved in
the same way.  The current proposals from the emacs-devel list are:

(a) Create two variables, one which contains the system-provided
    stuff and a variable for the user which is always empty by
    default.

(b) Some nifty diff-list feature by Alex Schroeder (I think) which
    augments Customize.  Then, Customize can remember items-to-add to,
    and items-to-remove from, the standard variable value.

> Okay, what I have done so far is the following

All of it looks good.  It's useless to argue about little details
ahead of time; they can still be changed if the users scream of
agony...

Good job!
kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)