From: Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de>
Subject: Re: Slighty improved regexps for citations
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 17:37:59 +0100	[thread overview]

JFTR: <news:81sn1ji51m.fsf@zion.bpnetworks.com> ff.
<URL:http://news.gmane.org/onethread.php?group=gmane.emacs.gnus.general&
root=%3C81sn1ji51m.fsf@zion.bpnetworks.com%3E>

>> The reason was that people if they /wrote/ a message and a colon was the
>> first sign in a line gnus thought this line was a quote and so used the
>> text colour to indicate a citation.

Ah, `message' is required from `gnus-cite.el' and the function
`gnus-cite-parse' uses `message-cite-prefix-regexp'.

>> IMO that happens rather seldom but more often I see articles with a
>> colon as indicator for a citation.

As there seem to be different preferences, I'd suggest to decompose
`message-cite-prefix-regexp'.  The current value looks quite
complicated, so users might be afraid to change it. ;-)

What about adding a simpler variable `message-cite-prefix-chars' (or a
list?) with default value of say `>', `|' and `}' (string ">|}" or a
list).  Then the user could easily add some chars (with concat,
add-to-list, ...?). Or add a variable for extra chars (empty by
default) that is integrated into `message-cite-prefix-regexp' during
the initialization of this variable.  What do you think?

> The right solution would be (IMO) to have two categories of citation
> marks: Frequently used ones and seldom used ones.
>
> For the seldom used ones, Gnus should only mark lines beginning with
> those as quotes if the are several such lines.

Nice idea.  It this feasible?  (I don't grok that font-lock stuff.)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)