* message sending functions harmonization
@ 2001-12-11 16:00 Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2001-12-11 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

        The different message sending functions (from group and summary
buffer) are not very coherent. For instance, gnus-summary-mail prepares a mail
message but don't have the ability to use the current group, and
gnus-summary-post-news unconditionally use the current group to prepare the
news.

        I'd like to make these function more consistent, and use a prefix
convention more similar to that of their group buffer counterpart:
- by default, just prepare simple mail or news
- with ARG, use the current group (the counterpart of 'group under point' in
  the group buffer)
- with ARG = 1, prompt for group

This will change the default behavior of one of these functions, but we gain
in coherence. Comments ?

--
Didier Verna, didier@lrde.epita.fr, http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier

EPITA / LRDE, 14-16 rue Voltaire   Tel.+33 (1) 53 14 59 47
94276 Le Kremlin-Bicêtre, France   Fax.+33 (1) 53 14 59 22   didier@xemacs.org

* Re: message sending functions harmonization
@ 2001-12-11 16:27 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-12-11 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Didier Verna <didier@lrde.epita.fr> wrote:
>         I'd like to make these function more consistent, and use a prefix
> convention more similar to that of their group buffer counterpart:
> - by default, just prepare simple mail or news
> - with ARG, use the current group (the counterpart of 'group under point' in
>   the group buffer)

I think this would break many folks' finger training.  How about
reversing them?  If I'm composing a message from within a group, I
expect it (and nearly always want it) to use that group's information.
A prefix arg to disable that could be useful, but needing the arg to
get what we're already used to seems troublesome.

> - with ARG = 1, prompt for group

No problem there.

paul

* Re: message sending functions harmonization
@ 2001-12-11 16:31 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-12-11 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Didier Verna <didier@lrde.epita.fr> writes:

> This will change the default behavior of one of these functions, but we gain
> in coherence. Comments ?

I support your suggestion.

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)

* Re: message sending functions harmonization
@ 2001-12-11 17:09   ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2001-12-11 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) wrote:

> Didier Verna <didier@lrde.epita.fr> wrote:
>>         I'd like to make these function more consistent, and use a prefix
>> convention more similar to that of their group buffer counterpart:
>> - by default, just prepare simple mail or news
>> - with ARG, use the current group (the counterpart of 'group under point' in
>>   the group buffer)
>
> I think this would break many folks' finger training.

        Note that in any case, one of these functions will have its default
behavior changed.

> How about reversing them? If I'm composing a message from within a group, I
> expect it (and nearly always want it) to use that group's information. A
> prefix arg to disable that could be useful, but needing the arg to get what
> we're already used to seems troublesome.

        I agree with your suggestion.