* marking dormant articles?
@ 2001-10-09 15:56 Nick Papadonis
From: Nick Papadonis @ 2001-10-09 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

Is there any way to automatically mark dormant articles in a group?

It tedious to look for these and mark each individually.

Thanks.

--
Nick

* Re: marking dormant articles?
@ 2001-10-09 16:15 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-10-09 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nick Papadonis <npapadon@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is there any way to automatically mark dormant articles in a group?

There is with nnmaildir.
cd server-directory/some-group/.nnmaildir/marks/dormant
mkdir -p ../tick # for example
for i in *; do
  ln "$i" ../tick/
done

paul

* Re: marking dormant articles?
@ 2001-10-09 20:53   ` Nick Papadonis
From: Nick Papadonis @ 2001-10-09 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Nick Papadonis <npapadon@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Is there any way to automatically mark dormant articles in a group?
>
> There is with nnmaildir.
> cd server-directory/some-group/.nnmaildir/marks/dormant
> mkdir -p ../tick # for example
> for i in *; do
>   ln "$i" ../tick/
> done

Can this be done without nnmaildir?

--

@ 2001-10-10  7:29 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-10-10  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Nick Papadonis <npapadon@yahoo.com> writes:

> Is there any way to automatically mark dormant articles in a group?

What do you mean by automatically?  Which articles should be marked
automatically?

You can do things with articles you select for reading, see the
variables gnus-mark-article-hook (only called when the article isn't
marked at all) and gnus-select-article-hook (called every time the
article is selected.

You can mark all articles in a group as dormant by entering the group
with C-u RET (be sure to select all articles), then `M P a M-& ?'.

kai
--
Linux provides a nice `poweroff' command, but where is `poweron'?

* Re: marking dormant articles?
@ 2001-10-12 21:00   ` Nick Papadonis
From: Nick Papadonis @ 2001-10-12 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Nick Papadonis <npapadon@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> Is there any way to automatically mark dormant articles in a group?
>
> What do you mean by automatically?  Which articles should be marked
> automatically?
I want to enter a group and mark ONLY the dormant articles.  After
which I would like to expire all dormant articles.

Without doing this, dormant articles sit around forever and are never expired.

@ 2001-10-12 22:23     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-10-12 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Nick Papadonis <nick@coelacanth.com> writes:

> I want to enter a group and mark ONLY the dormant articles.  After
> which I would like to expire all dormant articles.

I see.  It seems you want to mark them processable, and then you want
to use M-& E to mark the processable articles as expirable.

Lessee now...

I'm afraid you will have to do something klugy like using `/ m' to
limit to marks (enter `?' as the mark), then mark all remaining
articles processable, then pop the limit (with `/ w').

> Without doing this, dormant articles sit around forever and are
> never expired.

That's right.  That's the documented behavior of dormant articles :-)

Maybe it is possible to achieve the effect you want in some other way,
that does not require such contortions?  So why did you mark the
articles as dormant in the first place?

kai
--

@ 2001-10-17  0:47       ` Nick Papadonis
From: Nick Papadonis @ 2001-10-17  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Nick Papadonis <nick@coelacanth.com> writes:
>
>> I want to enter a group and mark ONLY the dormant articles.  After
>> which I would like to expire all dormant articles.
>
> Maybe it is possible to achieve the effect you want in some other way,
> that does not require such contortions?  So why did you mark the
> articles as dormant in the first place?

Thanks.

I don't mark them dormant...  They just appear that way once and
awhile.

--

@ 2001-10-17 11:51         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-10-17 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Nick Papadonis <nick@coelacanth.com> writes:

> I don't mark them dormant...  They just appear that way once and
> awhile.

My Gnus has never marked articles as dormant unless I hit `?' or `M ?'
or suchlike.  Are you hitting these keys accidentally, perhaps?

kai
--

@ 2001-10-22  3:51           ` Nick Papadonis
From: Nick Papadonis @ 2001-10-22  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Yes I hit ?.

I thought that should cause an article to only appear unless there is
a followup?

- Nick

@ 2001-10-22  8:13             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-10-22  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Nick Papadonis <nick@coelacanth.com> writes:

> Yes I hit ?.
>
> I thought that should cause an article to only appear unless there is
> a followup?

Well, hitting `?' marks an article as dormant.  And then the question
is what does Gnus _do_ with articles marked as dormant?  The answer is
that (1) the articles are considered unread so they are not expired,
not even when total-expire is on, (2) if gnus-use-cache is t, hitting
`?' enters an article into the cache, and finally, the thing that you
are thinking about, (3) dormant articles aren't shown by default,
except if there is a followup or you hit `/ D' or something like this.

Does that explain things?

kai
--
Lisp is kinda like tpircstsoP