* `|' error in summary buffer
@ 2002-03-14 14:38 Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2002-03-14 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Unless my fingers are mis-remembering something, until very recently
typing `|' on an article in the summary buffer would give me a
minibuffer prompt letting me specify a shell command to run on the
article.  Now I get this nonsense about saving the article:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
  byte-code("\b.\b.ÆÇ!.	q.\n.\f.\x15.È. .\fÉ=.\x1f.Ê. .\r.\f\fË=.*.\x0e\r.\x0e.\x0fq.\b.\f!+." [gnus-default-article-saver gnus-article-buffer save-buffer gnus-save-article-buffer gnus-prompt-before-saving file error "No default saver is defined" default always nil t filename num gnus-number-of-articles-to-be-saved gnus-article-current-summary] 2)
  gnus-article-save(#<buffer  *Gnus Save*> nil 1)
  gnus-summary-save-article(nil t)
  gnus-summary-pipe-output(nil)
  call-interactively(gnus-summary-pipe-output)

Here's what it's supposed to do:

| runs the command gnus-summary-pipe-output
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus-sum'.
It is bound to |, O p, <menu-bar> <Article> <Output> <Pipe through a filter>.
(gnus-summary-pipe-output &optional ARG)

Pipe the current article to a subprocess.
If N is a positive number, pipe the N next articles.
If N is a negative number, pipe the N previous articles.
If N is nil and any articles have been marked with the process mark,
pipe those articles instead.

Cheers -

bw
--
Bill White . billw@wolfram.com . http://members.wri.com/billw
"No ma'am, we're musicians."

* Re: `|' error in summary buffer
@ 2002-03-14 14:56 ` Matthieu Moy
From: Matthieu Moy @ 2002-03-14 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:

> Unless my fingers are mis-remembering something, until very recently
> typing `|' on an article in the summary buffer would give me a
> minibuffer prompt letting me specify a shell command to run on the
> article.  Now I get this nonsense about saving the article:

It does with my Gnus. (Oort Gnus v0.06/GNU Emacs 21.1.1)

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
>   byte-code("\b.\b.ÆÇ!. q.\n.\f.\x15.È. .\fÉ=.\x1f.Ê. .\r.\f\fË=.*.\x0e\r.\x0e.\x0fq.\b.\f!+." [gnus-default-article-saver gnus-article-buffer save-buffer gnus-save-article-buffer gnus-prompt-before-saving file error "No default saver is defined" default always nil t filename num gnus-number-of-articles-to-be-saved gnus-article-current-summary] 2)

Usually, people prefer to read /code/ than /byte code/, so, you should
run gnus uncompiled if you want to post understandable stake trace ;-)

--
Matthieu

* Re: `|' error in summary buffer
@ 2002-03-14 15:16   ` Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2002-03-14 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu Mar 14 2002 at 08:56, Matthieu Moy <Matthieu.Moy@imag.fr> said:

> Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:
>
>> Unless my fingers are mis-remembering something, until very recently
>> typing `|' on an article in the summary buffer would give me a
>> minibuffer prompt letting me specify a shell command to run on the
>> article.  Now I get this nonsense about saving the article:
>
> It does with my Gnus. (Oort Gnus v0.06/GNU Emacs 21.1.1)
>
>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
>>   byte-code("\b.\b.ÆÇ!. q.\n.\f...È. .\fÉ=.\x1f.Ê. .\r.\f\fË=.*..\r....q.\b.\f!+." [gnus-default-article-saver gnus-article-buffer save-buffer gnus-save-article-buffer gnus-prompt-before-saving file error "No default saver is defined" default always nil t filename num gnus-number-of-articles-to-be-saved gnus-article-current-summary] 2)
>
> Usually, people prefer to read /code/ than /byte code/, so, you
> should run gnus uncompiled if you want to post understandable stake
> trace ;-)

so I removed the .elc files, restarted emacs and gnus, and `|' worked
fine .  Then I recompiled gnus, restarted emacs and gnus, and it's
*still* working fine.  WTF?

Cheers -

bw
--

@ 2002-03-16 15:42     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-03-16 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:

> so I removed the .elc files, restarted emacs and gnus, and `|' worked
> fine .  Then I recompiled gnus, restarted emacs and gnus, and it's
> *still* working fine.  WTF?

I guess you upgraded your Emacs from CVS, then there was a slight
incompatibility in grokking the byte-code.

kai
--
Silence is foo!