* nnfolder question
@ 1997-08-05 17:42 Greg Thompson
From: Greg Thompson @ 1997-08-05 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

i've decided to bring all of my old vm mail files which i used to
archive messages into gnus as nnfolder groups so i can more easily
browse them, add messages to 'em, etc.  so i created a new nnfolder
server with the various variables pointing to the proper places and
such:

(nnfolder "saved"
	  (nnfolder-directory "/over/there")
	  (nnfolder-active-file "/over/there/active")
	  (nnfolder-newsgroups-file "/over/there/newsgroups")
	  (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)
	  (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t))

so then i copied over one of the mail files into the directory,
entered the server buffer, opened up the server via RET in the server
buffer, and did an nnfolder-generate-active-file.  unfortunately, it
failed (this is gnus 5.4.63).  the active file looked like this:

alfa 0 1 y
nil 36 0 y

where it should have looked like this:

alfa 36 1 y

so i fixed that by hand, and was able to subscribe to the group, enter
it, etc.  groovy.

now some questions: can i have groups in subdirectories to make a
heirarchy of saved mail files?  generate-active-file doesn't seem to
search down into 'em.  how to i make gnus add the group to the active
file and add the headers to the files if generate-active-file won't do
it for me?

uh, i thought i had another question, but i have no idea what it would
have been...
--
		-greg

* Re: nnfolder question
@ 1997-08-05 18:16 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-08-05 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

,----- C-h v gnus-use-long-file-name RET
| gnus-use-long-file-name's value is nil
|
| Documentation:
| *Non-nil means that the default name of a file to save articles in
| is the group name.
| If it's nil, the directory form of the group name is used instead.
|
| If this variable is a list, and the list contains the element
| `not-score', long file names will not be used for score files; if it
| contains the element `not-save', long file names will not be used for
| saving; and if it contains the element `not-kill', long file names
| will not be used for kill files.
|
| Note that the default for this variable varies according to what system
| type you're using.  On `usg-unix-v' and `xenix' this variable defaults
| to nil while on all other systems it defaults to t.
`-----

I think setting this variable to nil will make the group foo.bar
reside in the file foo/bar.  I've only used this with nnml groups, and
there nnml:foo.bar is a directory ~/Mail/foo/bar.

kai
--
Signature?  What signature?