From: Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann)
Subject: Re: difference between foreign and secondary servers?
Date: 14 Aug 2000 23:24:05 +0200	[thread overview]

Another question:

One alternative is to create foreign servers foo and bar and to
mention them in gnus-secondary-select-methods, like so:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '("foo" "bar"))

Another alternative is to mention the complete server parameters in
gnus-secondary-select-methods, like so:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnml "foo")
        (nnimap "bar" (nnimap-address "imap.server"))))

What are the differences between these alternatives?

One thing concerns editing of the parameters.  If the name of the imap
server changes, in the first case you do `^' and edit it there, in the
second case you edit ~/.gnus (or wherever
gnus-secondary-select-methods is set).

Another is that it appears that in the second case, the "foo" and
"bar" strings can be the same.  At least I'm running with (nnml "")
and (nnimap "" ...) in gnus-secondary-select-methods, and everything
seems to be hunky-dory (sp?).

In the first case, you could change the backend of the server.  Hm.
Or maybe you couldn't.

Btw, when does Gnus put the full-blown server description into the
.newsrc.eld file, and when does it put just the server name in there?

I'm sure I'm missing many things.  As you can see, basic understanding
of the whole issue is sorely lacking on my part.  Please help ;-)

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.