* Re: UTF-8, oGnus and Emacs 21?
       [not found] <wtnit5s8hlp.fsf@licia.dtek.chalmers.se>
@ 2002-05-13 11:05 ` Simon Josefsson
       [not found]   ` <wtnit5si6q2.fsf@licia.dtek.chalmers.se>
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-05-13 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Mon, 13 May 2002, Jonas Steverud wrote:

> What is the recommended approach to make oGnus and Emacs 21 (with a
> possible option to downgrade to Emacs 20.7, if possible) understand UTF-8?

It should "understand", as in be able to read incoming utf-8, by default.
Doesn't it work?

However, to send utf-8 there are many alternatives.  Perhaps the easiest
to comprehend is to make Emacs as a whole prefer utf-8:

    (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)

In addition you may want to add iso-latin-1 to
mm-coding-system-priorities, which makes Gnus prefer latin-1 over utf-8 if
that's possible.

If you don't want to mess with emacs, a more specific way would be to wrap
your message in a <#mml charset=utf-8> tag.

* Re: UTF-8, oGnus and Emacs 21?
       [not found]   ` <wtnit5si6q2.fsf@licia.dtek.chalmers.se>
@ 2002-05-13 12:25     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-05-13 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonas Steverud <d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se> writes:

> Are these the culprit? The first line was added during the days of the
> blasted \201. (Are those days completely of the past?)

You should not set enable-multibyte-characters to nil.  The days of
the \201 will soon be replaced by the days of the \219 (iso-8859-15) :-)

Seriously, I don't think it's a real problem to allow multibyte
characters.

kai
--
Silence is foo!