* file coding for ChangeLog?
@ 2001-12-14 21:10 Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2001-12-14 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey, at the bottom of the lisp/ChangeLog file, there is this:

;; Local Variables:
;; coding: iso-2022-7bit
;; End:

This seems to only work in GNU Emacs, but not with XEmacs.  Would
anyone object to me changing this to:

;; Local Variables:
;; buffer-file-coding-system: iso-2022-7bit
;; End:

Which appears to work on both branches of emacs.

--
Josh Huber

* Re: file coding for ChangeLog?
@ 2001-12-15  6:25 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-12-15  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Josh Huber <huber@alum.wpi.edu> writes:

> Hey, at the bottom of the lisp/ChangeLog file, there is this:
>
> ;; Local Variables:
> ;; coding: iso-2022-7bit
> ;; End:
>
> This seems to only work in GNU Emacs, but not with XEmacs.  Would
> anyone object to me changing this to:
>
> ;; Local Variables:
> ;; buffer-file-coding-system: iso-2022-7bit
> ;; End:
>
> Which appears to work on both branches of emacs.

It appears to work. But I am not sure whether there are some side
effects in Emacs. Actually, more than one files contain such lines. If
no side effects, maybe we should change all of them.  Moreover, some
.el and .texi files have coding variables in the headers, which
doesn't work in XEmacs either (unfortunately, the recent CVS Emacs
breaks the coding system setting of emacs-mime.texi because of a bug.)

ShengHuo

* Re: file coding for ChangeLog?
@ 2001-12-16  4:23   ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2001-12-16  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> It appears to work. But I am not sure whether there are some side
> effects in Emacs.

Right, that's the thing I was worried about.  I think it should work
though -- the coding: encoding format must have been a shortcut for
GNU Emacs...

> Actually, more than one files contain such lines. If no side
> effects, maybe we should change all of them.

Yes, I think we should...

> Moreover, some .el and .texi files have coding variables in the
> headers, which doesn't work in XEmacs either

Oh, you're right, that seems a little odd to me...some of them have
the coding only in the header, some have them in both (which don't
seem to match ever!)

I've put together a diff which changes all the occurrences of coding
to buffer-file-coding-system, and changes all the files which use
local variables to the newer style "Local Variables" at the end of the
file format.

Does this sound good?

--

@ 2001-12-18 10:19 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-12-18 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Josh Huber <huber@alum.wpi.edu> writes:

> Hey, at the bottom of the lisp/ChangeLog file, there is this:
>
> ;; Local Variables:
> ;; coding: iso-2022-7bit
> ;; End:
>
> This seems to only work in GNU Emacs, but not with XEmacs.  Would
> anyone object to me changing this to:
>
> ;; Local Variables:
> ;; buffer-file-coding-system: iso-2022-7bit
> ;; End:

In Emacs, this means that the file is opened and decoded using the
default coding system, and only later is the coding system set to
what you specify.  And if Emacs decides to use UTF-8 (say) for
decoding, then you lose.

Please use "coding" with Emacs.

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)

* Re: file coding for ChangeLog?
@ 2001-12-18 15:04   ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2001-12-18 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> In Emacs, this means that the file is opened and decoded using the
> default coding system, and only later is the coding system set to
> what you specify.  And if Emacs decides to use UTF-8 (say) for
> decoding, then you lose.

Ah yes, I hadn't thought of this.

> Please use "coding" with Emacs.

Yes, and after reading the documentation for XEmacs, it's supposed to
support the coding tag, so it appears this is a problem on my end.
sorry for the confusion.

I've changed buffer-file-coding-system back to coding, but left the
conversion to Local Variables...

Sorry for the noise...I'll see if it's a configuration problem here or
a bug in my Emacs. :(

--

@ 2001-12-18 15:36     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-12-18 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Josh Huber <huber@alum.wpi.edu> writes:

> I've changed buffer-file-coding-system back to coding, but left the
> conversion to Local Variables...

Great.

> Sorry for the noise...

No worries.

kai (currently reading: Last Continent, Terry Pratchett)
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)