* gnus-uu-digest-mail-forward (S-O-m) nit
@ 2000-02-24 16:35 Steve Harris
From: Steve Harris @ 2000-02-24 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

[ I submitted this to gnu.emacs.gnus two days ago, but got no
  reply. I'm not sure if my news server propagated it or not. ]

I've noticed some counter-intuitive behavior with
'gnus-uu-digest-mail-forward' (S-O-m from the Summary buffer): it
collects the articles in reverse order. That is, whatever ordering
it's using, it turns out to be the reverse of the order that the
messages originally appeared in in the Summary buffer. I don't have
any customized sorting-related settings. When I send these digests off
to a friend, I have to warn the recipient that the messages should be
read in reverse order!

Has anyone else noticed this behavior? Are there some variables I can
use to control it and force the order into something more intuitive
(such as "threaded, with oldest message first")?

--
Steven E. Harris
Primus Knowledge Solutions, Inc.

* Re: gnus-uu-digest-mail-forward (S-O-m) nit
@ 2000-02-24 16:53 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-02-24 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steve Harris <sharris@primus.com> writes:

> I've noticed some counter-intuitive behavior with
> 'gnus-uu-digest-mail-forward' (S-O-m from the Summary buffer): it
> collects the articles in reverse order.

I just tested this, and the message buffer contained the messages in
the order I hit `#' on them.  Same as using `2 S O m': they were in
the order in the summary buffer.

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: gnus-uu-digest-mail-forward (S-O-m) nit
@ 2000-02-24 17:33   ` Steve Harris
From: Steve Harris @ 2000-02-24 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

> I just tested this, and the message buffer contained the messages in
> the order I hit `#' on them.  Same as using `2 S O m': they were in
> the order in the summary buffer.

>From the docs:
=====
S O m runs `gnus-uu-digest-mail-forward'

`gnus-uu-digest-mail-forward' is an interactive compiled Lisp function
  -- loaded from "gnus-uu"
(gnus-uu-digest-mail-forward &optional N POST)

Documentation:
Digests and forwards all articles in this series.
=====

What, exactly, does Gnus consider to be "this series"? I was assuming
that that meant "subthread." Is this correct?

--

@ 2000-02-24 19:32     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-02-24 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steve Harris <sharris@primus.com> writes:

> What, exactly, does Gnus consider to be "this series"? I was assuming
> that that meant "subthread." Is this correct?

I hadn't even known about the `series' part.  I always explicitly mark
the ones I want to forward.  Works fine.

kai
--

@ 2000-02-24 21:40       ` Steve Harris
From: Steve Harris @ 2000-02-24 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I hadn't even known about the `series' part.  I always explicitly mark
> the ones I want to forward.  Works fine.

Okay, I guess I'll change my habit.

But if it _almost_ does the right thing now - it's clearly trying to
do the right thing - then would you consider this a bug if it doesn't
behave properly?

I haven't had the chance to try to go through the code to figure out
how the function builds its digest list. Maybe this weekend...

--

@ 2000-02-24 22:41         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-02-24 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steve Harris <sharris@primus.com> writes:

> But if it _almost_ does the right thing now - it's clearly trying to
> do the right thing - then would you consider this a bug if it doesn't
> behave properly?

It is surely a bug.  I'm just explaining why I haven't seen it yet.  I
think it would be nice if you reported it.

kai
--

@ 2000-02-24 23:23           ` Steve Harris
From: Steve Harris @ 2000-02-24 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> It is surely a bug.  I'm just explaining why I haven't seen it yet.  I
> think it would be nice if you reported it.

Should a bug of this nature be submitted with 'gnus-bug'?
Does the sample digest that I submitted provide sufficient information?

--

@ 2000-02-25 10:45             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-02-25 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steve Harris <sharris@primus.com> writes:

> Should a bug of this nature be submitted with 'gnus-bug'?
> Does the sample digest that I submitted provide sufficient information?

Yes, type `C-c C-b' to submit a Gnus bug.  If you want Lars to be able
to reproduce things exactly, you could do the following: save the
articles you need in an mbox file, then use `G f' to open a group for
it, then use `S O m'.  You can attach the mbox file in your bug report
so Lars can do the same: `G f', `S O m'.

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory