* Basic MIME Setup
@ 1998-11-26 17:45 Jake Colman
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jake Colman @ 1998-11-26 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I converted gtom gnus to pgnus quite some time ago and have been content to
simply go on as always until I had the time to actually start MIMEing.
Well the time has come!  I am running pgnus 0.54 on a Solaris system.  What
do I need to download/install/configure so that I can automatically view
various MIME parts of messages?  How does one view inline images that might
be attached to a message?  If I receive a shar or tar file that is tagged
correctly with an appripriate MIME tag, how do I extract it?  How do I access
attached MS Word documents?

If the answer is RTFM, just point me to the proper location!

Thanz!

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                  Phone: (201) 946-0300
Harborside Financial Center               Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza II                           Beeper: (800) 505-2795
Jersey City, NJ 07311                  E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
                                       E-mail: jcolman@jnc.com
                                          web: http://www.ppllc.com

* Re: Basic MIME Setup
@ 1998-11-27 10:50 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-11-27 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> What do I need to download/install/configure so that I can
> automatically view various MIME parts of messages?

Everything should work (or not) automatically.  (Although I don't know
how different InfoDock is from XEmacs -- is it based on XEmacs 20?)

> If I receive a shar or tar file that is tagged correctly with an
> appripriate MIME tag, how do I extract it?  How do I access attached
> MS Word documents?

`o' on a part will save it, for instance.  And Gnus reads .mailcaps.

* Re: Basic MIME Setup
@ 1998-11-27 10:54 ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1998-11-27 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

  > Well the time has come!  I am running pgnus 0.54 on a Solaris
  > system.  What do I need to download/install/configure so that I
  > can automatically view various MIME parts of messages?  How does
  > one view inline images that might be attached to a message?

You click (middle mouse button) on the button in the article window?

If that offers you to save the attachment instead, you might need an
entry in ~/.mailcap, like so:

    image/*; xv %s

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: Basic MIME Setup
@ 1998-11-27 11:07   ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-11-27 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:
>
> > What do I need to download/install/configure so that I can
> > automatically view various MIME parts of messages?
>
> Everything should work (or not) automatically.  (Although I don't know
> how different InfoDock is from XEmacs -- is it based on XEmacs 20?)

InfoDock used to be based on XEmacs 19.13, but there was talk about
upgrading it to use at least 20.4.  I'm not sure what the latest
version is based on.  It's probably a good idea to mail
<weiner@altrasoft.com> for correct info.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: Basic MIME Setup
@ 1998-11-27 18:12     ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 1998-11-27 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Actually, InfoDock 4.0.5 is based on XEmacs 21.0.

What would be an appropriate mailcaps file?  What other configuration file
should I have on my system for proper mime usage?

...Jake

@ 1999-04-25 22:23 ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 1999-04-25 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> If I receive a shar or tar file that is tagged correctly with an
> appripriate MIME tag, how do I extract it?

Hello, Jake and people.

What is being "tagged correctly" and what is an "appropriate MIME tag"?
Is there any standard about MIME for `tar' and `shar'?  Merely curious...

--
François Pinard                            mailto:pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
Join the free Translation Project!    http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard