* Can Gnus watch a group for me?
@ 2001-11-10 18:28 Kai Großjohann
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-11-10 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sometimes, I post questions to groups which I normally don't read.
Can Gnus have a look at those groups to see whether a response has
arrived yet?

Right now, I tick the message and have to remember to enter the group
from time to time.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: Can Gnus watch a group for me?
@ 2001-11-10 18:44 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-11-10 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Sometimes, I post questions to groups which I normally don't read.
> Can Gnus have a look at those groups to see whether a response has
> arrived yet?
>
> Right now, I tick the message and have to remember to enter the group
> from time to time.

Is this a place for nnkiboze?

In fact does nnkiboze ever even work at all.  I haven't fiddled with
it for a very long time but never did get it going like I wanted.

* Re: Can Gnus watch a group for me?
@ 2001-11-10 18:48 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-11-10 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Sometimes, I post questions to groups which I normally don't read.
> Can Gnus have a look at those groups to see whether a response has
> arrived yet?
>
> Right now, I tick the message and have to remember to enter the group
> from time to time.

I think Gnus agent is a good place to implement this feature, because
Gnus agent reads news when you don't actually enter the group.

ShengHuo

* Re: Can Gnus watch a group for me?
@ 2001-11-10 22:33 ` Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2001-11-10 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    > Sometimes, I post questions to groups which I normally don't
    > read. Can Gnus have a look at those groups to see whether a
    > response has arrived yet?

I would like to have that feature for a thread also ("watch thread" is
quite helpful in netscape messenger). The only feature i am missing.

Best regards,
cu, -cc-
--
=> GNU Emacs Webring @ <http://www.gnusoftware.com/WebRing/> <=
Look Ma, this man can twist his fingers as if they were made of rubber,

* Re: Can Gnus watch a group for me?
@ 2001-11-11 11:20   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-11-11 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Christoph Conrad <christoph.conrad@gmx.de> writes:

>     > Sometimes, I post questions to groups which I normally don't
>     > read. Can Gnus have a look at those groups to see whether a
>     > response has arrived yet?
>
> I would like to have that feature for a thread also ("watch thread" is
> quite helpful in netscape messenger). The only feature i am missing.

Actually, I think I want a "watch thread" feature; I just didn't
think of that term.

kai
--

@ 2001-11-11 16:10     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-11-11 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Christoph Conrad, ding

>> Christoph Writes:
>> I would like to have that feature for a thread also ("watch thread" is
>> quite helpful in netscape messenger). The only feature i am missing.
>
> Actually, I think I want a "watch thread" feature; I just didn't
> think of that term.

Kai, I did'nt notice any comments on my proposal that nnkiboze could
do this.  But from what I remember of it, and as I said; I never
really got it working as it is supposed to, it would be even more
powerfull than a thread watch thing inside a group.

Isn't nnkiboze supposed to:

Find subjects (or other items matching a regex [including body I
think]) in a list of groups matching a regex.  And then build an
ephemeral or some other non-standard group that contains those
messages (really just pointers to the desired messages in there
respective groups)

This is something like a thread watch, but more powerfull because it
operates across a series of groups.

Unless I misunderstand nnkiboze entirely, then what one would see
would be a new message indicater in nnkiboze:WATCHED_THREADS that when
you open it you find your self in the group it came from and in the
tread it is part of.

I've often thought that nnkiboze was very underrated part of gnus,
maybe because it isn't that easy to use.  Or maybe the code is
neglected.

Also in the old days before mass use of DSL and other high bandwidth
connections it may have been just too slow for home use.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding what you want, but with your fine
attention to detail, I suspect something could be done with existing
nnkiboze code that would make a very nice addition to gnus.

* Re: Can Gnus watch a group for me?
@ 2001-11-11 16:32       ` Kai Großjohann
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-11-11 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Christoph Conrad, ding

> Kai, I did'nt notice any comments on my proposal that nnkiboze could
> do this.  But from what I remember of it, and as I said; I never
> really got it working as it is supposed to, it would be even more
> powerfull than a thread watch thing inside a group.

Indeed, nnkiboze sounds like a solutions.  It's a bit like shooting
sparrows with a cannon (what's the English/US idiom for this?), but
it would certainly work.

Also, it's quite possible that bugs have crept into nnkiboze.

Hm.  IIRC, you specified some kind of regexp like "References: foo".
This won't work, I think, as nnkiboze groups require a normal score
file, it appears.

kai
--

@ 2001-11-11 18:08         ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-11-11 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Kai, I did'nt notice any comments on my proposal that nnkiboze could
>> do this.  But from what I remember of it, and as I said; I never
>> really got it working as it is supposed to, it would be even more
>> powerfull than a thread watch thing inside a group.
>
> Indeed, nnkiboze sounds like a solutions.  It's a bit like shooting
> sparrows with a cannon (what's the English/US idiom for this?), but
> it would certainly work.

A very old US idiom (That I just now made up.. he he):
`Using and 8 lb sledge hammer for a fly swatter.'

Yeah, it would be handier to be able to M-x watch-thread with an
article under the cursor.  But maybe M-x watch-thread could setup the
nnkiboze group for you with two or three prompts?... That would be about
what you want and very cool to boot.

It would work nicely for the sparrow scale and for the `Pteridactil'
(couldn't resist) scale.

If one limited the regex to one group it would be a thread watcher for
that one.  But one could specify many which means it could be much
broader.

All yuu would need to do then is watch for new messgaes in
nnkiboze:my_threads

> Hm.  IIRC, you specified some kind of regexp like "References: foo".
> This won't work, I think, as nnkiboze groups require a normal score
> file, it appears.

Not sure what you mean here by `normal'... Wouldn't a rule like this work:
(wrapped for mail)

(("thread"
  ("<vaf7ksxp8tl\\.fsf@INBOX\\.auto\\.gnus\\.tok\\.lucy\\.cs
   \\.uni-dortmund\\.de>" nil nil r)))

The manual section seems to indicate that anything found under the
cross reference "scoring" is usable.

o    In addition to this regexp detailing component groups, an `nnkiboze'
o group must have a score file to say what articles are to be included in
o the group (*note Scoring::).

* Re: Can Gnus watch a group for me?
@ 2001-11-11 18:40           ` Richard Hoskins
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Richard Hoskins @ 2001-11-11 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:

>>It's a bit like shooting sparrows with a cannon (what's the
>>English/US idiom for this?), but it would certainly work.
>
> A very old US idiom (That I just now made up.. he he): `Using and 8
> lb sledge hammer for a fly swatter.'

Wasn't there a MPython skit about sparrow hunting that involved
large weaponry?

I can't think of any us.english idiom that directly maps.  I propose
we use "shooting sparrows with a cannon", understanding it implies
"collateral damage" which is, unfortunately, an American idiom in wide
use at the moment.

--
Printed on Cathodeaenne, Radient, Smooth, 60lb. electrons

* Re: Can Gnus watch a group for me?
@ 2001-11-11 19:29           ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-11-11 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Yes, the M-x watch-thread RET command sounds way cool.  *drool*
kai
--

@ 2001-11-11 19:40             ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-11-11 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Hoskins <rmh3@alltel.net> writes:

>>>It's a bit like shooting sparrows with a cannon (what's the
>>>English/US idiom for this?), but it would certainly work.
>>
>> A very old US idiom (That I just now made up.. he he): `Using and 8
>> lb sledge hammer for a fly swatter.'
>
> Wasn't there a MPython skit about sparrow hunting that involved
> large weaponry?
>
> I can't think of any us.english idiom that directly maps.  I propose
> we use "shooting sparrows with a cannon", understanding it implies
> "collateral damage" which is, unfortunately, an American idiom in wide
> use at the moment.

OK, I'll put it up on http://suggested.USidioms.com

<H3> Hunting sparrows with cannons:</H3><BR>
To use a large tool for a small job that is likely to incur
massive `collateral damage'.  Sometimes referred to as `Playing with
lincoln logs with your butt cheeks.' [Steve Martin].

Maybe it'll catch on.

[Aside for Kai: Lincoln logs are an old time kids toy, small toy logs
you build small play houses with.  About 6-8 inches long.

* Re: Can Gnus watch a group for me?
@ 2001-11-12 12:47             ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2001-11-12 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Hoskins <rmh3@alltel.net> writes:

> I propose we use "shooting sparrows with a cannon", understanding it
> implies "collateral damage" which is, unfortunately,

The idiom is common in Denmark too, I have never got any impression
that "collateral damage" were implied.

I always believed the negative connotation was due to our Lutheran
culture, in which waste (and excessive measures is a kind of waste) is
considered bad.

* Re: Can Gnus watch a group for me?
@ 2001-11-12 12:48         ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2001-11-12 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> It's a bit like shooting sparrows with a cannon (what's the
> English/US idiom for this?),

"Using Emacs to edit text files."

* Re: Can Gnus watch a group for me?
@ 2001-11-12 12:54             ` dme
From: dme @ 2001-11-12 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

* rmh3@alltel.net [2001-11-11 18:40:37]
>>>It's a bit like shooting sparrows with a cannon (what's the
>>>English/US idiom for this?), but it would certainly work.
>
> I can't think of any us.english idiom that directly maps.

"Using a sledgehammer to crack a nut" is common in the UK.

dme.

* Re: Can Gnus watch a group for me?
@ 2001-11-12 14:22               ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-11-12 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> Richard Hoskins <rmh3@alltel.net> writes:
>
>> I propose we use "shooting sparrows with a cannon", understanding it
>> implies "collateral damage" which is, unfortunately,
>
> The idiom is common in Denmark too, I have never got any impression
> that "collateral damage" were implied.

Same here.

> I always believed the negative connotation was due to our Lutheran
> culture, in which waste (and excessive measures is a kind of waste) is
> considered bad.

Never thought of this; but could be true.

kai
--

@ 2001-11-13  0:47           ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2001-11-13  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Per Abrahamsen wrote:
> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> It's a bit like shooting sparrows with a cannon (what's the
>> English/US idiom for this?),
>
> "Using Emacs to edit text files."

s/Using/Starting/
        Daniel

--
How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it.
        -- Marcus Aurelius

* Re: Can Gnus watch a group for me?
@ 2001-11-14 16:33         ` Emerick Rogul
From: Emerick Rogul @ 2001-11-14 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Großjohann writes:

: It's a bit like shooting sparrows with a cannon (what's the
: English/US idiom for this?)

I've often heard "using a sledgehammer to kill a fly" used in this
regard.

-Emerick
Emerick Rogul             /\/     "how young are you, how old am i?
emerick@cs.bu.edu         /\/      let's count the rings around my eyes."