* New error ... missing `char-charset' symbol.
@ 1999-12-18 21:08 Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1999-12-18 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

There's a fairly recent error that has shown up in the latest CVS gnus
version.  I did my CVS update at around 21:00 UCT on 18 December 1999.
This used to work just fine up to the previous CVS release that I
used, from probably around 24 hours earlier.

I'm using XEmacs 21.1 patch 8, without MULE.

When trying to send email with an attachment, I get an error saying
that the `char-charset' symbol is not defined.  This prevents me from
being able to send the email.  Here's the stack trace:

Signaling: (void-function char-charset)
  char-charset(?s)
  mm-charset-after()
  rfc2047-dissect-region(1 20)
  rfc2047-encode-region(1 20)
  mail-encode-encoded-word-string("stripML Perl script")
  mml-insert-mime-headers((part (type . "application/octet-stream") (filename . "/usr/local/bin/stripML") (disposition . "attachment") (description . "stripML Perl script") (contents . "")) "application/octet-stream" nil 7bit)
  mml-generate-mime-1((part (type . "application/octet-stream") (filename . "/usr/local/bin/stripML") (disposition . "attachment") (description . "stripML Perl script") (contents . "")))
  mml-generate-mime-1((multipart (type . "mixed") (part (type . "text/plain") (contents . "\"Frank D. Greco\" <fgreco@CrossroadsTech.com> writes:\n\n>  Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:\n>  >\n>  > [ ... ]\n>  >\n>  >There is a Perl HTML parser that accurately recognizes all the tags\n>  >and the non-HTML.  I can use it to write a 10-20 line script which\n>  >easily could strip out all the HTML.  [ ... ]\n> \n> 	Cool.  Then from the command line I can write higher-level\n> 	shell utilities that use the Internet as an OS:\n> \n> 	* spell-check via cgi to dictionary.com\n> 	* check a domain for availability\n> 	* give me a list of URL's that altavista says contain \"EJB\"\n> 	* check a stock quote\n> 	* give me the weather in NYC\n> 	* etc...\n\nExactly!\n\nAttached is the Perl script.  It's called `stripML' and it works like\na filter, just as you specified.  The input is stripped of HTML tags,\nand the result goes to stdout.  Also, it can take input from files on\nthe com
 m!
!
and line, like most traditional Unix filter programs.\n\n  usage:   stripML [ file ... ]\n\nActually, `stripML' has 56 lines, but most of those are comments so\nthat you can follow the logic, or else white space.  There really are\nless than 20 significant executable lines of code.\n\nThe HTML::Parser Perl module needs to be installed for this to work.\nIt's a standard module (one of 700 or more) that resides in the CPAN\narchive (Comprehensive Perl Archive Network) on the net.  If there's a\nstandard installation of Perl, this module could be installed within\naround 5 minutes.\n\n\n> 	I wanted to revisit my idea of centralizing access to all\n> 	the net services.  Doing it with CGI-GET's (I guess CGI-POST's\n> 	can't be done this way) is just a proof of concept.\n> \n> 	btw, how hard would it be to duplicate the Perl HTML parser in\n> 	Java?  Considering that there are many XML parsers out there,\n> 	it sounds like something might already exist.\n\nA Java HTML parser probab
 l!
!
y exists.  I'll take a look to see if I can\nfind one.  Or if not, perhaps we could find a Java SGML parser to use\nin its stead, since HTML is a subset of that.\n\n\n> 	Take a look at: http://www.bookmarklets.com/\n\nWill do.\n\n\n> [ ... ]\n\n- Lloyd\n\n")) (part (type . "application/octet-stream") (filename . "/usr/local/bin/stripML") (disposition . "attachment") (description . "stripML Perl script") (contents . "")) (part (type . "text/plain") (contents . "\n-- \n Lloyd Zusman\n ljz@crossroadstech.com\n (212) 482-5280 ext 223\n"))))
  mml-generate-mime()
  message-encode-message-body()
  message-send-mail(nil)
  message-send-via-mail(nil)
  message-send(nil)
  message-send-and-exit(nil)
  ljz-message-send-and-exit(nil)
  call-interactively(ljz-message-send-and-exit)

Thanks in advance.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: New error ... missing `char-charset' symbol.
@ 1999-12-18 21:50 ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-12-18 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd> There's a fairly recent error that has shown up in the latest
Lloyd> CVS gnus version.  I did my CVS update at around 21:00 UCT on
Lloyd> 18 December 1999.  This used to work just fine up to the
Lloyd> previous CVS release that I used, from probably around 24 hours
Lloyd> earlier.

Lloyd> I'm using XEmacs 21.1 patch 8, without MULE.

Lloyd> When trying to send email with an attachment, I get an error
Lloyd> saying that the `char-charset' symbol is not defined.  This
Lloyd> prevents me from being able to send the email.  Here's the
Lloyd> stack trace:

[...]

Fixed.

--
~{VlJ$;p~}

* Re: New error ... missing `char-charset' symbol.
@ 1999-12-21 21:17   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-12-21 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> --
> ~{VlJ$;p~}

Somehow I doubt that this is (intended to be) us-ascii, yet the
message was labeled as such.  What gives?

kai

* Re: New error ... missing `char-charset' symbol.
@ 1999-12-22  5:20     ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-12-22  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

KG> Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
>> --
>> ~{VlJ$;p~}

KG> Somehow I doubt that this is (intended to be) us-ascii, yet the
KG> message was labeled as such.  What gives?

You mean my signature? That is nothing but HZ encoded my name.
It is ASCII. View it by M-x gnus-article-HZ-decode.

--
~{VlJ$;p~}

* Re: New error ... missing `char-charset' symbol.
@ 1999-12-22  9:50       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-12-22  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> You mean my signature? That is nothing but HZ encoded my name.
> It is ASCII. View it by M-x gnus-article-HZ-decode.

Well, it is ascii in the same way that a uuencoded jpeg is ascii :-)
What I was getting at is that nothing in your messages gives a hint as
to what should be done with your signature.  Do you think it would be
useful to add some MIME header for this, or do you think that people
who don't know what to do with it won't be able to make use of it
anyway?  (For example, I didn't know what to do, and you told me, but
that doesn't really help much because while your HZ-decoded name is
much prettier, I can't read it either :-)

kai

* Re: New error ... missing `char-charset' symbol.
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-04-21 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > You mean my signature? That is nothing but HZ encoded my name.
> > It is ASCII. View it by M-x gnus-article-HZ-decode.
>
> Well, it is ascii in the same way that a uuencoded jpeg is ascii :-)
> What I was getting at is that nothing in your messages gives a hint as
> to what should be done with your signature.  Do you think it would be
> useful to add some MIME header for this, or do you think that people
> who don't know what to do with it won't be able to make use of it
> anyway?  (For example, I didn't know what to do, and you told me, but
> that doesn't really help much because while your HZ-decoded name is
> much prettier, I can't read it either :-)

HZ encoding (like ~{VlJ$;p~}) is something that's not part of the MIME
continuum, but rather something that was developed much earlier.  It's
documented in RFC1843, and it's a different way to encode Chinese text
in ASCII.

   HZ is a 7-bit data format proposed for arbitrarily mixed GB and ASCII
   text file exchange.  HZ is also intended for the design of terminal
   emulators that display and edit mixed Chinese and ASCII text files in
   real time.