* Tricky (to me) mail splitting
@ 2001-12-04 16:20 Kirk Strauser
From: Kirk Strauser @ 2001-12-04 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am using Emacs 21.1.1 (Debian/Woody), Gnus version 5.8.8, and BBDB version
2.32.

I currently split mail with BBDB and group splitting:

(setq
   nnmail-split-methods        'bbdb/gnus-split-method
   bbdb/gnus-split-nomatch-function 'gnus-group-split
)

All was good and happy in my world until this morning.  I decided to
implement an idea I read a while back on Slashdot where I create a unique
email address for every person or company I correspond with (I host my own
mail server so adding new virtual users is no problem).

The new form of address I want to use is kirk-xxxxx@strauser, where xxxxx is
a random integer.  Now, the part that's tricking me is that I want all of
those new email address to come into their own group, with bonus points if
the groups are auto-generated.  For example, mail to kirk-12345@strauser.com
should land in mail.filtered.12345 .  FWIW, I'll be using an nnvirtual group
matching (nnvirtual "nnml:mail\\.filtered\\..*") to collect all of the
pre-split mail into one group for convenient reading, but still leave the
messages in their individual groups to easily identify the sender.

My question, then, is where should I define the split rules for all of these
new groups?  I'd really prefer not to have to manually create each one and
set its group parameters (for the gnus-group-split method).

--
Kirk Strauser

* Re: Tricky (to me) mail splitting
@ 2001-12-04 17:31 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-12-04 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com> writes:

> I am using Emacs 21.1.1 (Debian/Woody), Gnus version 5.8.8, and BBDB version
> 2.32.

Is Gnus 5.9 which comes with Emacs 21.1 not sufficient?

> The new form of address I want to use is kirk-xxxxx@strauser, where xxxxx is
> a random integer.  Now, the part that's tricking me is that I want all of
> those new email address to come into their own group, with bonus points if
> the groups are auto-generated.

In nnmail-split-methods, you can add an entry for "kirk-\\([0-9]+\\)"
going into the group "kirk.\\1", where "\\1" is replaced with the
first pair of parens in the regexp.

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)

* Re: Tricky (to me) mail splitting
@ 2001-12-04 19:19   ` Kirk Strauser
From: Kirk Strauser @ 2001-12-04 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 2001-12-04T17:31:11Z, Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com> writes:

> > I am using Emacs 21.1.1 (Debian/Woody), Gnus version 5.8.8, and BBDB version
> > 2.32.

> Is Gnus 5.9 which comes with Emacs 21.1 not sufficient?

Oops...  There was a copy of 5.8.8 in site-lisp.  Problem corrected.

> > The new form of address I want to use is kirk-xxxxx@strauser, where xxxxx is
> > a random integer.  Now, the part that's tricking me is that I want all of
> > those new email address to come into their own group, with bonus points if
> > the groups are auto-generated.

> In nnmail-split-methods, you can add an entry for "kirk-\\([0-9]+\\)"
> going into the group "kirk.\\1", where "\\1" is replaced with the
> first pair of parens in the regexp.

Actually, I came to a similar conclusion while tearing through the Gnus
manual for the umpteenth time.  My problem remains, though.  I have the
following in my .gnus.el:

  (setq
     nnmail-split-methods        'bbdb/gnus-split-method
     bbdb/gnus-split-nomatch-function 'gnus-group-split
  )

Given that setup (taken pretty much straight from the BBDB manual), where
would I insert the rule you gave?  In a nutshell, I'd like the following
split functions to be called in order:

  1: bbdb/gnus-split-method
  2: The matching function you described above
  3: gnus-group-split

I apologize for seeming dim, but my Gnus config consists largely of stuff
I've copied-and-pasted from postings to this list, web sites, etc.  I
understand the mechanics well enough to modify information I find, but not
quite well enough yet to start generating stuff on my own.  In the mean
time, I'm having a blast trying!  I tend to get myself in over my head, but
that's half the fun for me.  :)
--

@ 2001-12-05  8:53     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-12-05  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com> writes:

>   (setq
>      nnmail-split-methods        'bbdb/gnus-split-method
>      bbdb/gnus-split-nomatch-function 'gnus-group-split
>   )
>
> Given that setup (taken pretty much straight from the BBDB manual), where
> would I insert the rule you gave?

Well, there is a very good reason why I didn't answer this question
in my last message:  I don't know the answer :-)
I'm sorry about this.

I'm not sure whether nnmail-split-fancy supports the "\\1" feature.
If it does, then things would be simple.

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)