* Navigate cited text with single-space sentence endings
@ 2001-09-28 15:07 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-09-28 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Normally, I use two spaces after sentence endings.

However, for M-a and M-e in cited text in messages, it might be useful
to find sentence endings with only one space, as well, since often,
the original message does not use two spaces after sentence endings.

Suggestions?

kai
--
Abort this operation?   [OK]  [Cancel]

* Re: Navigate cited text with single-space sentence endings
@ 2001-09-30 12:49 ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2001-09-30 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Kai Großjohann wrote:
> Normally, I use two spaces after sentence endings.
>
> However, for M-a and M-e in cited text in messages, it might be useful
> to find sentence endings with only one space, as well, since often,
> the original message does not use two spaces after sentence endings.
>
> Suggestions?

(add-hook 'message-mode
  (lambda ()
    "Use one-space sentence endings in this mode..."
    (set (make-local-variable 'sentence-end-double-space) nil)))

...or did I miss something in your request? [1]

        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  Hrm. You use Emacs, right? I don't know if that's an XEmacs-ism or not...

--
Our undisciplinables are our proudest product...
Let us hope our output of them will never cease.

* Re: Navigate cited text with single-space sentence endings
@ 2001-09-30 13:28   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-09-30 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:

> On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Kai Großjohann wrote:
> > Normally, I use two spaces after sentence endings.
>>
>> However, for M-a and M-e in cited text in messages, it might be useful
>> to find sentence endings with only one space, as well, since often,
>> the original message does not use two spaces after sentence endings.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>
> (add-hook 'message-mode
>   (lambda ()
>     "Use one-space sentence endings in this mode..."
>     (set (make-local-variable 'sentence-end-double-space) nil)))
>
> ...or did I miss something in your request? [1]

Well, of course I want some fancy behavior.  I think I want this:

* M-e and M-a should find ". " in addition to ".  " in cited text.

* It is okay for M-a/M-e to find ". " in my own text, too, but I think
  I would prefer them to only find ".  " in my own text.

* M-q should have the double-space behavior when invoked on my own
  text.

* I'm not sure what I want M-q to do in cited text.

So, it is not enough to just frob sentence-end-double-space, since
that affects cited text and my own text in the same way.

kai
--
Abort this operation?   [OK]  [Cancel]