* smtpmail configuration
@ 2001-03-10 22:53 Fabrice Popineau
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2001-03-10 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm probably not the only one here using more than one smtp server,
depending on the network I'm connected to with my laptop...

So I'm asking : is there any clever way to set the smtp server (I use
smtpmail) automagically ? For example, you could have a list of ip
class addresses and set the smtp server based on the current ip
number. Maybe I'm just dreaming...

Thanks for any clue,

--
Fabrice Popineau
------------------------

* Re: smtpmail configuration
@ 2001-03-10 23:37 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-03-10 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 10 Mar 2001, Fabrice Popineau wrote:

> So I'm asking : is there any clever way to set the smtp server (I
> use smtpmail) automagically ? For example, you could have a list of
> ip class addresses and set the smtp server based on the current ip
> number. Maybe I'm just dreaming...

Maybe the easiest way to do it is to run `ifconfig' from a login
script, parse the output, and write the local IP address to an
environment variable.

Then you can do like this in Emacs:

(let ((x (getenv "IPADDR")))
  (cond ((string-match "^10\\.10\\." x)
         ..do.stuff..)
        ((string-match "^12\\." x)
         ..do.other.stuff..)))

kai
--
Be indiscrete.  Do it continuously.

* Re: smtpmail configuration
@ 2001-03-11 15:28   ` Fabrice Popineau
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2001-03-11 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Fabrice Popineau, ding

Sure... but Win2K let me unplug my laptop and plug it again in a new
network without having to logout ;-) In fact I almost never logout (it
will run for several weeks).

XEmacs has an `ipconfig' function that will put the result of ipconfig.exe in
some specific buffer, and your idea could be applied dynamically, each
time an email is sent, but it might be a bit time expensive. I wonder if there
is a way under Windows to detect from XEmacs that the network
configuration has changed.

--
Fabrice

* Re: smtpmail configuration
@ 2001-03-11 15:47     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-03-11 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 11 Mar 2001, Fabrice Popineau wrote:

> Sure... but Win2K let me unplug my laptop and plug it again in a new
> network without having to logout ;-) In fact I almost never logout
> (it will run for several weeks).

I see.  Can you tell your W2K to execute some program when you plug?
Then you could tell it to execute `gnudoit', which tells XEmacs to
execute some Lisp, which in turn frobs the right variables.

kai
--
Be indiscrete.  Do it continuously.