* Scanning of nnimap groups during gnus-group-get-new-news?
@ 2000-04-29 19:24 Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2000-04-29 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Forgive me if this is a FAQ, but due to the high volume in this list,
I only keep the last month or so worth of messages, and I didn't see
anything about this question.

Is there a setting that I can use to force my `nnimap' groups to be
scanned for new mail every time I type the `g' command
(`gnus-group-get-new-news') while in the Group buffer?

No such scanning happens with my seemingly-standard `nnimap' setup
... I have to go into the group itself and type `g'
(`gnus-summary-rescan-group') within the Summary buffer in order for
this rescanning to take place.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: Scanning of nnimap groups during gnus-group-get-new-news?
@ 2000-08-10 20:50 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-08-10 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> Is there a setting that I can use to force my `nnimap' groups to be
> scanned for new mail every time I type the `g' command
> (`gnus-group-get-new-news') while in the Group buffer?

Make sure that your nnimap groups are on a lower level than
`gnus-save-killed-list'.

* Re: Scanning of nnimap groups during gnus-group-get-new-news?
@ 2000-08-11 22:31   ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2000-08-11 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
>
> > Is there a setting that I can use to force my `nnimap' groups to be
> > scanned for new mail every time I type the `g' command
> > (`gnus-group-get-new-news') while in the Group buffer?
>
> Make sure that your nnimap groups are on a lower level than
> `gnus-save-killed-list'.

Thank you ... and welcome back!

It turns out that I don't set `gnus-save-killed-list' to anything,
anywhere on my system, and by default this variable contains `t'.  Is
this correct?

With the variable set to `t', I'm not sure how to set my nnimap groups
to a lower level ... ???

--

@ 2000-08-13 16:10     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-08-13 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 11 Aug 2000, Lloyd Zusman wrote:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>> Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
>>
>> > Is there a setting that I can use to force my `nnimap' groups to
>> > be scanned for new mail every time I type the `g' command
>> > (`gnus-group-get-new-news') while in the Group buffer?
>>
>> Make sure that your nnimap groups are on a lower level than
>> `gnus-save-killed-list'.
>
> Thank you ... and welcome back!
>
> It turns out that I don't set `gnus-save-killed-list' to anything,
> anywhere on my system, and by default this variable contains `t'.
> Is this correct?

I think that Lars means gnus-level-killed, which appears to be 9 by
default.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: Scanning of nnimap groups during gnus-group-get-new-news?
@ 2000-08-16  1:08       ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2000-08-16  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 11 Aug 2000, Lloyd Zusman wrote:
>
> > Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:

> >> Make sure that your nnimap groups are on a lower level than
> >> `gnus-save-killed-list'.
> >
> > [ ... ]
>
> I think that Lars means gnus-level-killed, which appears to be 9 by
> default.

Ah ... OK.  Well, my nnimap groups are indeed on a lower level than
`gnus-level-killed'.  It's 9 for me by default and my nnimap group is
at level 2.  So unfortunately, this does not seem to be the cause
of the problem.  :(

After having posted my original query about this, I later posted a
patch here for `nnimap.el' that was a variation on a patch for this
problem that was given to me by Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org>.
My variation fixed my problem.

However, despite the fact that I have posted this patch here at least
once more than a month ago, and also at least once to Mr. Josefsson
privately, no one has commented on it and it hasn't shown up in the
CVS tree, at least not since the last time I checked.

Should I repost the patch here for comment and review?

--

@ 2000-08-16  8:16         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-08-16  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 15 Aug 2000, Lloyd Zusman wrote:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:

>> > [ ... ]
>>
>> I think that Lars means gnus-level-killed, which appears to be 9 by
>> default.
>
> Ah ... OK.  Well, my nnimap groups are indeed on a lower level than
> `gnus-level-killed'.  It's 9 for me by default and my nnimap group
> is at level 2.  So unfortunately, this does not seem to be the cause
> of the problem.  :(

Well, err.  Level 1 means very important, level 9 means very
unimportant.  But intuitively, a higher level might mean important.
There is a conflict between importantness and the numbers.  Very
confusing.

Maybe it helps if you set the group level to a number greater than or
equal to 9?

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: Scanning of nnimap groups during gnus-group-get-new-news?
@ 2000-08-16 23:05           ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2000-08-16 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 15 Aug 2000, Lloyd Zusman wrote:
>
> > Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> >> I think that Lars means gnus-level-killed, which appears to be 9 by
> >> default.
> >
> > Ah ... OK.  Well, my nnimap groups are indeed on a lower level than
> > `gnus-level-killed'.  It's 9 for me by default and my nnimap group
> > is at level 2.  So unfortunately, this does not seem to be the cause
> > of the problem.  :(
>
> Well, err.  Level 1 means very important, level 9 means very
> unimportant.  But intuitively, a higher level might mean important.
> There is a conflict between importantness and the numbers.  Very
> confusing.
>
> Maybe it helps if you set the group level to a number greater than or
> equal to 9?

Thank you very much, but I don't think so, given the interpretation
you outlined here:

  Level 9:  (default `gnus-level-killed') very unimportant

  Level 2:  (current level of my nnimap group) pretty damned important

If I were to set my nnimap group to have a level number higher than
the value in `gnus-level-killed', then I would assume that this would
mean, "it is more important to kill this nnimap group (or at least the
articles therein?) than to keep it (the articles?) around", which is
certainly *not* what I intend.

But at any rate, these responses are to a message of mine that is old
and which has been superseded by others.  Some of my later messages in
this thread have to do with the fact that I received a patch to
`nnimap.el' which was supposed to fix this problem, but which I had to
alter somewhat, and then this altered patch *did* fix the problem.
And the patch has to do with causing the `nnimap' code to do a
re-{select,examine} on the imap mailbox whenever commands such as
`gnus-group-get-new-news' is invoked.  This appears to be necessary in
wu-imap and Courier imap, and maybe even Cyrus imap, at least for me.

And since I posted my recent reply in this thread, the author of the
original patch and I have corresponded privately about this.  And so
now I believe that this issue about the correct patch to `nnimap.el'
will soon be resolved.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com