* nndiary:  how to add appointments
@ 2001-12-10  0:52 Nevin Kapur
From: Nevin Kapur @ 2001-12-10  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am trying to set up an nndiary server.  All I've done is added

	(nndiary ""
		 (nndiary-get-new-mail nil))

to my gnus-secondary-select-methods and created a group nndiary:Test
using G m.  According to nndiary.el

;; - However, since NNDiary also has a 'request-post method, you can also
;;  `C-u a' instead of `C-u m' on a diary group and the message won't actually
;;   be sent; just stored in the group.

This does not work for me. When I try `C-u a' on a diary group, I
don't get anything special in the message buffer that is created. What
am I supposed to fill in in the To header? If I specify a To header
the message gets mailed (which is not what I want) and if I don't,
then I get a

No methods specified to send by

when I `C-c C-c'.

--
Nevin Kapur
nevin@jhu.edu

* Re: nndiary:  how to add appointments
@ 2001-12-10 10:08 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-12-10 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nevin Kapur <nevin@jhu.edu> writes:

> ;; - However, since NNDiary also has a 'request-post method, you can also
> ;;  `C-u a' instead of `C-u m' on a diary group and the message won't actually
> ;;   be sent; just stored in the group.
>
> This does not work for me. When I try `C-u a' on a diary group, I
> don't get anything special in the message buffer that is created. What
> am I supposed to fill in in the To header?

I guess you are supposed to fill in the Newsgroups header.  If
gnus-post-method is current (which is the default value), then
posting the article should work.  If gnus-post-method is something
different, you can do C-u 0 C-c C-c and then choose nndiary as the
post method.

If the group is named nndiary:Test, then the header should be

    Newsgroups: Test

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)

* Re: nndiary:  how to add appointments
@ 2001-12-10 14:34   ` Nevin Kapur
From: Nevin Kapur @ 2001-12-10 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Nevin Kapur <nevin@jhu.edu> writes:
>
>> This does not work for me. When I try `C-u a' on a diary group, I
>> don't get anything special in the message buffer that is created. What
>> am I supposed to fill in in the To header?
>
> I guess you are supposed to fill in the Newsgroups header.  If
> gnus-post-method is current (which is the default value), then
> posting the article should work.

gnus-post-method is current.

> If the group is named nndiary:Test, then the header should be
>
>     Newsgroups: Test

If I manually enter the Newsgroups header, then I can `C-c C-c' and
the right thing happens.  Then, I guess my question is: why is the
Newsgroups header not being filled for me?

--
Nevin

* Re: nndiary:  how to add appointments
@ 2001-12-10 15:03     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-12-10 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nevin Kapur <nevin@jhu.edu> writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> If the group is named nndiary:Test, then the header should be
>>
>>     Newsgroups: Test
>
> If I manually enter the Newsgroups header, then I can `C-c C-c' and
> the right thing happens.  Then, I guess my question is: why is the
> Newsgroups header not being filled for me?

I wish I knew.  Hm.  But you can edit the to-group parameter for the
group, I guess.

kai
--

@ 2001-12-10 15:46       ` Nevin Kapur
From: Nevin Kapur @ 2001-12-10 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> If I manually enter the Newsgroups header, then I can `C-c C-c' and
>> the right thing happens.  Then, I guess my question is: why is the
>> Newsgroups header not being filled for me?
>
> I wish I knew.  Hm.  But you can edit the to-group parameter for the
> group, I guess.

Yep, that does it.  Thanks.

--
Nevin

* Re: nndiary:  how to add appointments
@ 2001-12-11 12:04 ` Didier Verna
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Didier Verna @ 2001-12-11 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nevin Kapur <nevin@jhu.edu> wrote:

> According to nndiary.el
>
> ;; - However, since NNDiary also has a 'request-post method, you can also
> ;; `C-u a' instead of `C-u m' on a diary group and the message won't actually
> ;; be sent; just stored in the group.
>
> This does not work for me.

        Sorry about that ! There are two mistakes I've just realized in this
comment :-)

1/ I didn't mean `C-u a' but `C-u w'
2/ `C-u w' is available in my workspace only... I forgot to check that in.

Ok, so here's the idea:

- we have `gnus-group-post-news' which prepares a message that can be either a
  news or a mail depending on the group you use
- we have `gnus-group-mail' which unconditionally prepares a mail

=> now that several mail backends have a request-post method, we need
`gnus-group-news' which would unconditionally prepare a news (I mean, even for
mail groups).

I've written such a function and bound it to `w' in my workspace (for the
record, it is appended below). If there are no objections, I'll check it in.
Also, do someone have a better idea for the key binding or is w satisfactory ?

(defun gnus-group-news (&optional arg)
  "Start composing a news.
If ARG, use the group under point.  If ARG is 1, prompt for a group name.
This function prepares a news even when using mail groups.  This is useful
for posting messages to mail groups without actually sending them over the
network.  The corresponding backend must have a 'request-post method."
  (interactive "P")
  (let ((group gnus-newsgroup-name)
	(buffer (current-buffer)))
    (unwind-protect
	(progn
	  (setq gnus-newsgroup-name
		(if arg
		    (if (= 1 (prefix-numeric-value arg))
			(completing-read "Use group: "
					 gnus-active-hashtb nil
					 (gnus-read-active-file-p))
		      (gnus-group-group-name))
		  ""))
	  (gnus-setup-message 'message
	    (message-news (gnus-group-real-name gnus-newsgroup-name))))
      (save-excursion
	(set-buffer buffer)
	(setq gnus-newsgroup-name group)))))

--
Didier Verna, didier@lrde.epita.fr, http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier

EPITA / LRDE, 14-16 rue Voltaire   Tel.+33 (1) 53 14 59 47
94276 Le Kremlin-Bicêtre, France   Fax.+33 (1) 53 14 59 22   didier@xemacs.org

* Re: nndiary:  how to add appointments
@ 2001-12-11 15:58   ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-12-11 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Didier Verna <didier@lrde.epita.fr> wrote:
> => now that several mail backends have a request-post method, we need
> `gnus-group-news' which would unconditionally prepare a news (I mean, even for
> mail groups).

Isn't it enough to mark the backends as post-mail instead of mail?

paul

* Re: nndiary:  how to add appointments
@ 2001-12-11 16:03     ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2001-12-11 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) wrote:

> Didier Verna <didier@lrde.epita.fr> wrote:
>> => now that several mail backends have a request-post method, we need
>> `gnus-group-news' which would unconditionally prepare a news (I mean, even for
>> mail groups).
>
> Isn't it enough to mark the backends as post-mail instead of mail?

        That's already the case. But for these post-mail backends, you want
the ability to either send a real mail message, or send a "news", meaning a
not-sent-but-directly-saved-to-the-group message in that case. So you need
different functions for this.

--

@ 2001-12-11 16:28       ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-12-11 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Didier Verna <didier@lrde.epita.fr> wrote:
> prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) wrote:
>> Isn't it enough to mark the backends as post-mail instead of mail?
>
>         That's already the case. But for these post-mail backends, you want
> the ability to either send a real mail message, or send a "news", meaning a
> not-sent-but-directly-saved-to-the-group message in that case. So you need
> different functions for this.

Ok, so what exactly does post-mail activate, if not this?

paul

* Re: nndiary:  how to add appointments
@ 2001-12-11 16:53   ` Nevin Kapur
From: Nevin Kapur @ 2001-12-11 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Didier Verna <didier@lrde.epita.fr> writes:

> Nevin Kapur <nevin@jhu.edu> wrote:
>
>> According to nndiary.el
>>
>> ;; - However, since NNDiary also has a 'request-post method, you can also
>> ;; `C-u a' instead of `C-u m' on a diary group and the message won't actually
>> ;; be sent; just stored in the group.
>>
>> This does not work for me.
>

>         Sorry about that ! There are two mistakes I've just realized in this
> comment :-)
>
> 1/ I didn't mean `C-u a' but `C-u w'
> 2/ `C-u w' is available in my workspace only... I forgot to check
> that in.

It all makes sense now.  Thanks.

--
Nevin

* Re: nndiary:  how to add appointments
@ 2001-12-11 17:33   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-12-11 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Didier Verna <didier@lrde.epita.fr> writes:

> Ok, so here's the idea:
>
> - we have `gnus-group-post-news' which prepares a message that can be either a
>   news or a mail depending on the group you use
> - we have `gnus-group-mail' which unconditionally prepares a mail
>
> => now that several mail backends have a request-post method, we need
> `gnus-group-news' which would unconditionally prepare a news (I mean, even for
> mail groups).

nnimap has a different approach: there is the variable
nnimap-news-groups, and hitting `C-u a' on them prepares a posting.

Thoughts?

kai
--

@ 2001-12-11 17:44     ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2001-12-11 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Ding

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) wrote:

> nnimap has a different approach: there is the variable nnimap-news-groups,
> and hitting `C-u a' on them prepares a posting.
>
> Thoughts?

        I think `C-u a' is deeply bound to "create a message, either mail or
news, depending on the current group" in people's mind, and that would be bad
to change this.  Of course, we could have a `gnus-news-groups' variable
defaulting to nil, which would be safe, but then, I'd have to make my hands
forget about `C-u a' on these groups, and use `C-u m' instead.

[ a doubt comes to my mind here ... ]

Jee !! `C-u m' doesn't behave as I expect :-( It doesn't honor the to-list
parameter of my mail groups :-(

--

@ 2001-12-11 18:11         ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2001-12-11 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) wrote:

> Ok, so what exactly does post-mail activate, if not this?

        Actually, I don't really know :-)

--

@ 2001-12-11 19:03       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-12-11 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Didier Verna <didier@lrde.epita.fr> writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) wrote:
>
>> nnimap has a different approach: there is the variable nnimap-news-groups,
>> and hitting `C-u a' on them prepares a posting.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
>         I think `C-u a' is deeply bound to "create a message, either mail or
> news, depending on the current group" in people's mind, and that would be bad
> to change this.

Right.  nnimap-news-groups helps to create the _right_ kind of
message: for shared IMAP folders.

> Of course, we could have a `gnus-news-groups' variable defaulting to
> nil, which would be safe, but then, I'd have to make my hands forget
> about `C-u a' on these groups, and use `C-u m' instead.
>

> [ a doubt comes to my mind here ... ]
>

> Jee !! `C-u m' doesn't behave as I expect :-( It doesn't honor the to-list
> parameter of my mail groups :-(

That's right!  I use C-u a on those groups.  Since a mail to the
mailing list address is just like a posting to a newsgroup,¹ `a' is
obviously the right key, isn't it?

kai
¹ Only the transfer protocol is different.  But the point is: `a' is
  for group messages, `m' is for messages to individual people.

  But for nndiary, `a' would be for 1 person, which is not quite a
  group.  Hm.  Your wife is a big hippo!²

² Read Terry Pratchett, "Interesting Times", about screaming "Argh" in
  various languages...
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)