* Mails - gnus 5.8.3 - SuSE 6.1
@ 2000-01-25 18:49 Pieter Wenk
From: Pieter Wenk @ 2000-01-25 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello to all,

I must have some errors in my .gnus concerning the mail config.

1) M-x gnus, does launch abolutly correctly. Prior checking
   via nntp the subscribed groups, I am getting:

   Mail-source error ((error-ERR Too few arguments for the user command.)).
   Continue yes/no...

2) When E-Mailing it's working properly.

Below please find:

   My entries concerning mail in my ~/.gnus
   Backtrace conerning mails sent...

Entry in ~/.gnus :

I am running sendmail, procmail and fetchmail

;:*=======================
;:* Das Gnus-Mail-System konfigurieren
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "private")))

;:*=======================
;:* sending mail
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-smtp-server "localhost"
      smtpmail-local-domain "localhost"
      smtpmail-debug-info t)

;:*=======================
;:* getting mail
(setenv "MAILHOST" "localhost")
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "~/Mail")))

(setq nnmail-spool-file "po:")
(setq nnmail-pop-password-required t)

;:*=======================
;:* Delete duplicate Mails
(setq nnmail-treat-duplicates 'delete)

Backtrace of sent mail:

220 sre-4-139.urbanet.ch ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.3/8.9.3; Tue, 25 Jan 2000 18:27:45 +0100
HELO sre-4-139.urbanet.ch.localhost
250 sre-4-139.urbanet.ch Hello p.wenk@localhost [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
MAIL FROM: <pwenk@urbanet.ch>
250 <pwenk@urbanet.ch>... Sender ok
RCPT TO: <trucmuche2000@aol.com>
250 <trucmuche2000@aol.com>... Recipient ok
DATA
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
To: trucmuche2000@aol.com (Trucmuche2000)
Subject: Re: ENFIN DU CALME
From: Pieter Wenk <pwenk@urbanet.ch>
Date: 25 Jan 2000 18:27:45 +0100

.
250 SAA04112 Message accepted for delivery
QUIT
221 sre-4-139.urbanet.ch closing connection

Process SMTP exited abnormally with code 256

With regards to charset=us-ascii...this is wrong.
I have in my .emacs	(setq message-default-charset (quote iso-8859-1))

Many thanks for your help in getting corrected
my mail-system

Regards

--

                           / /  (_)____ __ ____  __
      Pieter Wenk         / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  Vevey/Switzerland

* Re: Mails - gnus 5.8.3 - SuSE 6.1
@ 2000-01-25 22:26 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-01-25 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Pieter Wenk <pwenk@urbanet.ch> writes:

> (setq nnmail-spool-file "po:")

Well, with Gnus 5.8.3 you're supposed to use the new mail-sources
variable (and set nnmail-spool-file to nil).  The old format is only
supported for completeness.  If you look at an old Gnus info file,
you'll see that the above is wrong, though.  You were supposed to put
"po:pwenk" there if pwenk is the POP3 user name.

Now, however, there is mail-sources and it's much easier to understand
what that's supposed to do.  RTFM for details.

kai

* Re: Mails - gnus 5.8.3 - SuSE 6.1
@ 2000-01-26  7:27   ` Pieter Wenk
From: Pieter Wenk @ 2000-01-26  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On mar, 25 jan 2000, Kai Großjohann wrote:

>Pieter Wenk <pwenk@urbanet.ch> writes:
>
>> (setq nnmail-spool-file "po:")
>
>Well, with Gnus 5.8.3 you're supposed to use the new mail-sources
>variable (and set nnmail-spool-file to nil).  The old format is only
>supported for completeness.  If you look at an old Gnus info file,
>you'll see that the above is wrong, though.  You were supposed to put
>"po:pwenk" there if pwenk is the POP3 user name.
>
>Now, however, there is mail-sources and it's much easier to understand
>what that's supposed to do.  RTFM for details.

Thanks a lot. But this does not as yet bring me much
farer..

RTFM...what do you mean exactly with this...I assume,
something like an info file I gladly likento read.

Regards

--

@ 2000-01-26 11:04     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-01-26 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Pieter Wenk <pwenk@urbanet.ch> writes:

> RTFM...what do you mean exactly with this...I assume,
> something like an info file I gladly likento read.

RTFM: Read The Fine Manual.  You may substitute other F words.
Of course, the mail-sources variable is explained in the Gnus info file.

kai