* how does expiry-target work?
@ 2000-11-21 15:37 janneke
From: janneke @ 2000-11-21 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm still trying to migrate from nmh to Gnus, and it seems that today
I found the killer feature replacement for my ``refile-read'' and
refile-replied'' scripts: expiration and expiry-targets should
be able to move mail automatically from my inbox to my archive, right?

However, I can't get expiratation to move my mail, it only *removes*.

This is what I tried, I made a copy of my inbox (named ``indoos''),
and created a test-archive where to move expired mail, with one
message in it:

   cp -prv ~/mh/indoos ~/mh/indoos/copy
   mkdir ~/mh/indoos/expired
   cp ~/mh/indoos/1 ~/mh/indoos/expired

In Gnus (v5.8.7) I subscribed to both new mail groups:

    nnmh:indoos.copy
    nnmh:indoos.expired

and then edited the group parameters for the inbox-copy (G p from
*Group*):

    ;;; Editing the group parameters for `nnmh:indoos.copy'.
    ;; Type `C-c C-c' after you've finished editing.

    ((auto-expire . t)
     (total-expire . t)
     (expiry-wait . 0)
     (expiry-target . "nnmh:indoos.expired"))

typed C-c C-c, exited Gnus, emacs, restarted.

When I enter nnmh:indoos.copy and read two messages 9 and 10, they're
marked ``E''.  I press ``B e M-g'' and they're gone.

On the disk, only 9 is removed (be sure to keep 1?) from
~/mh/indoos/copy, but it hasn't shown up in ~/mh/indoos/expired.

Are you all using this feature, and how?

Oh, and another two small related things: I would like to expire
automatically only mail that I replied to, from my inbox, would that
make sense and be possible?  Also, it seems that Gnus doesn't annotate
the messages when I reply, but uses a somewhat more (too?) volatile
way of keeping track.  For some reason I'm quite often loosing the
``replied'' flag on certain messages between sessions; maybe because
my ssh session gets interrupted?

Greetings,
Jan.

--