* Quoted characters in From: line
@ 1999-12-16 17:50 Raymond Scholz
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Raymond Scholz @ 1999-12-16 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some people use nicknames in their From: line like:

From: "John \"Foo\" Doe" <john@doe.com>

Gnus currently displays that in the summary buffer as:

John \

RFC822 tells me that quoting with `\' is allowed for quoted-strings
(i.e. strings surrounded by `"'s). I think Gnus is wrong in truncating
the name. This may also apply to other lines in the header.

[Ugh, quoted-printable with =, quoting characters with \, quote
delimiter ", and quoting of citations with >, this confuses me...]

Cheers,
  Ray

P.S.: Can I switch off the behaviour that message mode thinks, _any_
line beginning with a single word and a colon needs to be
highlighted. Even in the body of the message? (The P.S.: line is an
example of this). Wouldn't it make more sense to restrict this
behaviour by regarding `gnus-visible-headers' f.e.?

--
Raymond Scholz -*- rscholz@tzi.de -*- http://www.tzi.de/~rscholz/
FB 3 Informatik, Universität Bremen -*- PGP key available via WWW

* Re: Quoted characters in From: line
@ 1999-12-17 10:08 ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-12-17 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Raymond> Some people use nicknames in their From: line like:
Raymond> From: "John \"Foo\" Doe" <john@doe.com>

Raymond> Gnus currently displays that in the summary buffer as:

Raymond> John \

[...]

I suspect a bug in mail-utils.el (part of Emacs) causes the problem.
And the bug has been fixed in FSF Emacs 20.4.

--
~{VlJ$;p~}

* Re: Quoted characters in From: line
@ 1999-12-19  5:56 ` Michael Welsh Duggan
From: Michael Welsh Duggan @ 1999-12-19  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Raymond Scholz <rscholz@tzi.de> writes:

> Some people use nicknames in their From: line like:
>
> From: "John \"Foo\" Doe" <john@doe.com>
>
> Gnus currently displays that in the summary buffer as:
>
> John \
>
> RFC822 tells me that quoting with `\' is allowed for quoted-strings
> (i.e. strings surrounded by `"'s). I think Gnus is wrong in truncating
> the name. This may also apply to other lines in the header.

You can fix this by setting `gnus-extract-address-components' to
`mail-extract-address-components' instead of
`gnus-extract-address-components'.  From the docs:

gnus-extract-address-components's value is
gnus-extract-address-components

Documentation:
*Function for extracting address components from a From header.
Two pre-defined function exist: `gnus-extract-address-components',
which is the default, quite fast, and too simplistic solution, and
`mail-extract-address-components', which works much better, but is
slower.

--
Michael Duggan
(md5i@cs.cmu.edu)

* message fontifying (was: Re: Quoted characters in From: line)
@ 1999-12-21 21:04 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-12-21 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Raymond Scholz <rscholz@tzi.de> writes:

> P.S.: Can I switch off the behaviour that message mode thinks, _any_
> line beginning with a single word and a colon needs to be
> highlighted. Even in the body of the message? (The P.S.: line is an
> example of this). Wouldn't it make more sense to restrict this
> behaviour by regarding `gnus-visible-headers' f.e.?

Well, message uses font-lock for fontifying in message mode (for
displaying articles, Gnus uses something different), and it is
difficult to tell font-lock to do different things in different areas
of a buffer.

It is a bit annoying, though.  Maybe better fontification of message
buffers could be added to the todo list for the next version?

kai