* Undesirable Gnus interaction with scroll-in-place package
@ 1996-11-15 21:50 Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-11-15 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

If Eric Eide's scroll-in-place package (which redefines scroll-up and
scroll-down) is being used the Gnus SPC command loses due to the fact
that point never reaches the bottom of the buffer.  A cheap fix on the
Gnus side would be to bind the scroll-in-place variable to nil around
the scroll-up and scroll-down calls in Gnus.

  When the variable `scroll-in-place' is true, this command works just
  like the command `scroll-up-in-place', scrolling the current window
  and leaving point "in place" within the window.  See the
  documentation for the command `scroll-up-in-place' for more
  information.

  When the variable `scroll-in-place' is `nil' this command invokes
  the standard GNU Emacs version of `scroll-up'.  In that case, when
  LINES is `nil' the current window is scrolled by nearly a complete
  windowful of text.

--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be billed at $250/message.

* Re: Undesirable Gnus interaction with scroll-in-place package
@ 1996-11-19  8:32 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-11-19  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Steven> If Eric Eide's scroll-in-place package (which redefines scroll-up and
  Steven> scroll-down) is being used the Gnus SPC command loses due to the fact
  Steven> that point never reaches the bottom of the buffer.  A cheap fix on the
  Steven> Gnus side would be to bind the scroll-in-place variable to nil around
  Steven> the scroll-up and scroll-down calls in Gnus.

I think the following is a not-so-cheap fix.  Though I don't really
know what The Right Thing (tm) is.

scroll-{up,down}-one-line are my own functions, so you might need to
take them out.

(setq scroll-command-groups
      (append '((gnus-summary-scroll-up gnus-summary-scroll-down)
		(scroll-down-one-line scroll-up-one-line))
	    scroll-command-groups))

kai
--
I wonder why nobody don't like me,
or is it de fact dat I'm ugly? -- Harry Belafonte