* Post to nntp from nnml
@ 2001-12-03 20:43 Harry Putnam
       [not found] ` <m3r8qbki8c.fsf@multivac.cwru.edu>
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-12-03 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

that has been posted to gnu.emacs.gnus as well.

I've recently setup a newsfeed piped thru procmail that allows gnus to
generate nnml groups from the newsfeed.

I thought we could post from nnml groups to nntp method with C-u 0 C-c
C-c and select a method but when I select nntp, gnus tells me it isn't
a choice  n<spc><spc> completes to only nnml and nndrafts.

I know about adding the Newsgroups header with C-c C-n but hoped for a
more transparent way.  Maybe something I can set that will effect a
regexp of group names.

Someone suggested it could be done in Group params but I didn't see how.

My current gnus-post-method is set to `current'.  I don't really want
to change that unless it can be done per group or even better a regexp
match of groups.

According to gnus info C-u 0 C-c C-c should give me a choice of any
that are possible.  It doesn't offer nntp, so does that mean it isn't
an option?

* Re: Post to nntp from nnml
       [not found] ` <m3r8qbki8c.fsf@multivac.cwru.edu>
@ 2001-12-04  2:56   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-12-04  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
>> My current gnus-post-method is set to `current'.  I don't really want
>> to change that unless it can be done per group or even better a regexp
>> match of groups.
>
> I think that's possible with Oort's gnus-parameters; you can make a
> group-specific setting for a variable there, right?

Even if the syntax were obvious, this snippet from the customize
buffer seems to indicate one isn't allowed to post nntp method from
mail groups:

(From Customize buffer: gnus-post-methods -ed HP)

  If this variable is `current' (which is the default), Gnus will use
  the "current" select method when posting.  If it is `native', Gnus
  will use the native select method when posting.

  This method will not be used in mail groups and the like, only in
  "real" newsgroups.

  If not `native' nor `current', the value must be a valid method as
  discussed in the documentation of `gnus-select-method'.  It can also
  be a list of methods.  If that is the case, the user will be queried
  for what select method to use when posting.

* Re: Post to nntp from nnml
@ 2001-12-04  3:47     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-12-04  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

that has been posted to gnu.emacs.gnus as well.

>> I think that's possible with Oort's gnus-parameters; you can make a
>> group-specific setting for a variable there, right?
>
> Even if the syntax were obvious, this snippet from the customize
> buffer seems to indicate one isn't allowed to post nntp method from
> mail groups:
>
> (From Customize buffer: gnus-post-methods -ed HP)
>
>   If this variable is `current' (which is the default), Gnus will use
>   the "current" select method when posting.  If it is `native', Gnus
>   will use the native select method when posting.
>
>   This method will not be used in mail groups and the like, only in
>   "real" newsgroups.
>
>   If not `native' nor `current', the value must be a valid method as
>   discussed in the documentation of `gnus-select-method'.  It can also
>   be a list of methods.  If that is the case, the user will be queried
>   for what select method to use when posting.

I see from experimentation that one can set the method in group
params. A confusing aspect is that it gets a different name then.
Instead of gnus-post-methods, it becomes simply post-method.  So
setting G p to ((post-method . nntp)) will allow me to post from an
nnml group nntp method.

Now the trickier part:

I have a number of nnml groups named after newsgroups but with a
prefix of 1x  so they look like 1x.gnu.emacs.gnus.  The prefix was for
local effect where I place a symlink in ~/Mail/ like:
 Mail/1x ->/some/other/partiton/directory

So the actual nnml directories are on /some/other/partion.

I don't that really figures into this query though.

I see now how to allow posting to the real nntp group from its nnml
twin by setting ((post-method . nntp)), but then one must manually
insert the Newsgroup header and insert the name.

I hoped I could do something in group params or gnus-parameters that
would make gnus do that for me.   So that when intering
nnml:1x.gnu.emacs.gnus and pressing `a' I get a buffer with

   Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.gnus

already inserted.

* Re: Post to nntp from nnml
@ 2001-12-04 10:20       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-12-04 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> I see now how to allow posting to the real nntp group from its nnml
> twin by setting ((post-method . nntp)), but then one must manually
> insert the Newsgroup header and insert the name.

There is a `to-group' group parameter.  Does that help?

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)

* Re: Post to nntp from nnml
@ 2001-12-05  2:56         ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-12-05  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I see now how to allow posting to the real nntp group from its nnml
>> twin by setting ((post-method . nntp)), but then one must manually
>> insert the Newsgroup header and insert the name.
>
> There is a `to-group' group parameter.  Does that help?

Yuck... I hate when I overlook something that glaring.

That fixes it right up.