* fast email downloading?
@ 2002-05-01 16:35 Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2002-05-01 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

At work we can download messages from pop.wolfram.com,
imap.wolfram.com, etc.  What's the fastest method for downloading?  I
want to move to my local machine and delete on the server, and I don't
have access to the spool dir /var/spool/mail/billw, which is isolated
on some other machine.

Is there something for this besides pop and imap?

Thanks -

bw
--
Bill White . billw@wolfram.com . http://members.wri.com/billw
"No ma'am, we're musicians."

* Re: fast email downloading?
@ 2002-05-02  7:06 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-05-02  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:

> At work we can download messages from pop.wolfram.com,
> imap.wolfram.com, etc.  What's the fastest method for downloading?  I
> want to move to my local machine and delete on the server, and I don't
> have access to the spool dir /var/spool/mail/billw, which is isolated
> on some other machine.

I don't have any timings, but since it is easy to use mail-sources to
try all of them, why don't you try?  There's two ways to do POP, not
sure if one of them is faster; either you can use pop3.el (which
mail-source does by deafult) or you can use the external C program
movemail which comes with Emacs.  Maybe one of them is faster.

But probably the "fastest" way to do it is to set up fetchmail or the
like to demonically fetch mail in the background.

kai
--
Silence is foo!