* What does `gathering loose threads' mean?
@ 2000-08-09 16:00 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-08-09 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

If I have two messages with the same subject (but otherwise
unrelated), they will be displayed near to each other in the summary
buffer.

Where does this come from?

Is this a result of loose threads gathering?  If so, the documentation
is confusing, because it talks about expired roots of threads and the
like.  This lead me to thinking that Gnus looks at the References
header of message 1 and at the References header of message 2 and if
MsgId foo occurs in both headers, then the two messages are in the
same thread.

Maybe the documentation should be changed to more explicitly point out
that loose threads gathering does NOT look at the References header,
but ONLY at the Subject header.

What is the minimum configuration that will do loose threads
gathering?  (I think it is sufficient to set
gnus-summary-make-false-root to a non-nil value, but I'm not sure.)

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.