* smtp + mail2news
@ 2000-01-11 15:57 lconrad
From: lconrad @ 2000-01-11 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm having trouble sending news, with a recent CVS version of gnus.
(Probably from last Friday or so.  I attempted to update it before
sending this, but didn't seem to be able to connect to cvs.)

I'm using smtp to send mail, and a mail2news gateway for posting.  I'm
pretty sure this has worked in the recent past.

For sending mail, I have
(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "taz")
(setq smtpmail-local-domain nil)
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

I have tried with and without:

(setq message-send-news-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

For news, I have:

(setq gnus-post-method '(nngateway "mail2news@anon.lcs.mit.edu"
                                 (nngateway-header-transformation
                                  nngateway-mail2news-header-transformation)))

When I attempt to post a news message, I get a message saying "Sending
failed, no recipients".

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad@world.std.com , http://www.world.std.com/~lconrad/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (801) 365-6574

* Re: smtp + mail2news
@ 2000-01-11 16:21 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-01-11 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

lconrad@world.std.com writes:

> (setq gnus-post-method '(nngateway "mail2news@anon.lcs.mit.edu"
>                                  (nngateway-header-transformation
>                                   nngateway-mail2news-header-transformation)))

Does it work to say this?

(setq gnus-post-method '(nngateway "mail2news@anon.lcs.mit.edu"
                         (nngateway-address "mail2news@anon.lcs.mit.edu")
                         (nngateway-header-transformation
                          nngateway-mail2news-header-transformation)))

Note the additional nngateway-address spec.

I've never used nngateway, just a hunch from looking at the docs.

kai

* Re: smtp + mail2news
@ 2000-01-11 17:16   ` lconrad
From: lconrad @ 2000-01-11 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    Kai> lconrad@world.std.com writes:
    >> (setq gnus-post-method '(nngateway "mail2news@anon.lcs.mit.edu"
    >> (nngateway-header-transformation
    >> nngateway-mail2news-header-transformation)))

    Kai> Does it work to say this?

    Kai> (setq gnus-post-method '(nngateway
    Kai> "mail2news@anon.lcs.mit.edu"
    Kai>                          (nngateway-address
    Kai>                          "mail2news@anon.lcs.mit.edu")
    Kai>                          (nngateway-header-transformation
    Kai>                           nngateway-mail2news-header-transformation)))

    Kai> Note the additional nngateway-address spec.

    Kai> I've never used nngateway, just a hunch from looking at the
    Kai> docs.

Yes, thanks.  That seems to work.

--

@ 2000-01-11 17:45     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-01-11 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

>     Kai> Note the additional nngateway-address spec.
>
> Yes, thanks.  That seems to work.

Okay, time for a bug report.  I'll create it and send you a Cc, okay?

kai