* problem sending mail by modem
@ 2000-01-06 22:03 Fabrice Popineau
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2000-01-06 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm  currently using  xemacs  21.2b26 for  nt  (native build) and gnus
5.8.2 . Whenever I try to send an email message _by modem only_ longer
than say 1k,  the connection with the  stmp server hang.

I see the  icon in the taskbar   flickering for the first  few hundred
bytes, and  then nothing. On  the other end,   the sendmail process is
waiting. What is  strange is that  the  net connection  is ok  : I can
connect to the mail gateway using ssh without any problem.  I can also
receive email messages of arbitry length.

Anybody has an idea ?

Thanks in advance,

--
Fabrice Popineau

* Re: problem sending mail by modem
@ 2000-01-06 22:22 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-01-06 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, xemacs-nt

Fabrice Popineau <Fabrice.Popineau@supelec.fr> writes:

> I'm  currently using  xemacs  21.2b26 for  nt  (native build) and gnus
> 5.8.2 . Whenever I try to send an email message _by modem only_ longer
> than say 1k,  the connection with the  stmp server hang.

Hm.  rcp.el also sends large numbers of bytes across a connection, and
someone observed a speed problem with XEmacs.  Lessee if I can did
this up...  Ah:

,----- much stuff elided from this msg
| From: Daniel Pittman <daniel@danann.net>
|
| The problem seems to be that when using a pty connection to an
| asynchronous subprocess, XEmacs 21.2 will write between 250K and 1.2M
| before performance *dies*. After that length I got about 2K per second.
`-----

Could it be the same problem for you?  Do ptys even exist on NT?

kai

* Re: problem sending mail by modem
@ 2000-01-06 22:48   ` Fabrice Popineau
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2000-01-06 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, xemacs-nt

* Kai Großjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> writes:

> Could it be the same problem for you?  Do ptys even exist on NT?

Hmmm... My performance dies way before x100k : rather around x100
bytes. And there are no ptys under native build, but if the problem is
at the elisp level, it could be something similar, assuming the
difference between net connection and modem throughput is a sufficient
explanation.

I should try to send a x1Mb file through the net connection to see if
it is reproducible. On the other hand, I recall a few monthes ago to
have been able to send messages more than 1 page long without any
problem, even by modem.

Fabrice

* Re: problem sending mail by modem
@ 2000-01-06 23:03     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-01-06 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, xemacs-nt

Fabrice Popineau <Fabrice.Popineau@supelec.fr> writes:

> I should try to send a x1Mb file through the net connection to see if
> it is reproducible. On the other hand, I recall a few monthes ago to
> have been able to send messages more than 1 page long without any
> problem, even by modem.

Please note that it appears only in XEmacs.  So, if M-x shell RET uses
a pty on XEmacs-NT, then it ought to be sufficient to use the command
`type foo.txt' if that file is long enough.

kai