* `gnus-article-display-x-face' - problem/bug? and configuration question
@ 2000-12-19  6:14 Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2000-12-19  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

1)

`gnus-article-display-x-face' (W f in summary) uses
`article-narrow-to-head' which narrows the _current_ visible headers.
So, if no X-Face is in the default visible headers, you will see no
X-Face. If you "C-u g" all headers and then "W f" everythings ok.

I think this behaviour is not intuitive. "W f" should always show me the
X-Face if present.

2)

i wan't to persuade Gnus to always show me X-Faces when present.

Best regards,
cu, -cc-
--
=> GNU Emacs Webring @ <http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=emacs> <=
Look Ma, this man can twist his fingers as if they were made of rubber,

* Re: `gnus-article-display-x-face' - problem/bug? and configuration question
@ 2000-12-19  9:22 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-12-19  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 19 Dec 2000, Christoph Conrad wrote:

> i wan't to persuade Gnus to always show me X-Faces when present.

Seems to work for me with (setq gnus-treat-display-xface 'head).
Hm.  But maybe that only works if Emacs groks images?

kai

* Re: `gnus-article-display-x-face' - problem/bug? and configuration question
@ 2000-12-19 16:06   ` Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2000-12-19 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > Seems to work for me with (setq gnus-treat-display-xface 'head).
    > Hm. But maybe that only works if Emacs groks images?

Works, even on Emacs 20.7.1! Thank you. From the manual:

     If there's no native X-Face support, Gnus will try to convert the
     `X-Face' header using external programs from the `pbmplus' package
     and friends.

gnus-article-x-face-command's value is
"{ echo '/* Width=48, Height=48 */'; uncompface; } | icontopbm | display -"

I had to download the program "uncompface", it wasn't on my SuSE 6.4. If
anyone needs it:

<http://www.cs.indiana.edu/ftp/faces/>

The only little annoyance: The message "flashes" for a short time when
selecting it via the summary buffer before beeing displayed, it looks
like the if all headers are displayed.

Best regards,
cu, -cc-