* sgnus-0.38 and M-g
@ 1996-02-14 16:47 Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-02-14 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

nnmail-split-methods is '(("mail.misc" "")).  nnml:mail.misc is the
only group that's on level 1, all other nnml groups are level 2, and
nntp groups are level 3.  nnml-spool-file is
'("/home/crew/grossjoh/spool/incoming/outgoing"
"/home/crew/grossjoh/spool/incoming/lists"
"/var/spool/mail/grossjoh").

I'm in the nnml:mail.misc summary buffer, and there is new mail in an
nnmail-spool-file.  I hit M-g.

sgnus does not read any nnmail-spool-file and it does not put the
messages into nnml:mail.misc.  Why not?

I'm in the *Group* buffer.  I hit `1 g'.  Still no joy: no mail is
being read from nnmail-spool-file.

I'm in the *Group* buffer with point on nnml:mail.misc.  I hit M-g.
Still no joy :-(

Is this a feature or is it a bug?  I know that I've asked for
something like this but that was different.

Old behavior:
  Hitting M-g in an nnml group would read the procmail spool file for
  that group, plus nnmail-spool-file.  This was true for any
  nnml group, not just nnml:mail.misc.  Thus, hitting M-g in nnml:foo
  would put all messages from nnmail-spool-file into nnml:foo.
  This is okay if foo equals mail.misc but undesirable else.
New behavior:
  Hitting M-g in an nnml group reads the procmail spool file and under
  no circumstances reads nnmail-spool-file.
Desired behavior:
  Hitting M-g in any nnml group *except* nnml:mail.misc reads the
  procmail spool file and nothing else.  Hitting M-g in nnml:mail.misc
  reads the procmail spool file, plus nnmail-spool-file.  Here,
  messages from the procmail spool file are put into nnml:mail.misc;
  but messages from nnmail-spool-file are put through the normal
  splitting process, as always.

  Maybe M-g should always read nnmail-spool-file (in addition to the
  procmail spool file) and put the messages through the normal
  splitting process, not only for nnml:mail.misc?

Did I express myself clearly enough, do you understand?

What do you all think?
        kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

only message in thread, other threads:[~1996-02-14 16:47 UTC | newest]