* Still having very strange mail problems
@ 2000-01-20 16:53 Frank Hart
From: Frank Hart @ 2000-01-20 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi again,

Well, after trying to retrieve my email via POP3 I'm now attemting to do
'it' via the local spool (reading mail, that is).
I'm using XEmacs 21.1 with Gnus 5.8.3 and some fancy toolbar icons. And
guess what, one strange situation after the other. With the above
combination nothing (exept news ofcourse) seems to work. So I remove
/usr/share/xemacs and reinstalled it again. Same XEmacs, but Gnus
version 5.6.*. That sometimes works. But sometimes it doesn't. I've
tries to remove the ~/Mail dir and Gnus creates the dirs perfectly. But
when I have mail waiting Gnus fetches the mail (/var/spool/mail/ is
emtpy) but it doesn't show it. No zombie groups or whatsoever. So after
reinstalling Gnus and XEmacs one would think that problems are solved
and that is sometimes the case. So, again, I'm completely lost here.
Here's my .gnus file again...

;; Setup file for Gnus
;; Frank Hart <frhart@home.nl>

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.groni1.gr.nl.home.com"))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")))
(setq nnmail-split-methods
	'(("gnus" "\\(to\\|cc\\):.*ding@gnus.org")
	 ("webwereld" "\\(to):.*nieuwsbrief@idg.nl")
	 ("suse-security" "\\(to\\|cc\\):.*suse-security@suse*")
	 ("NLLGG" "\\(to\\|cc\\):.*linux@nllgg.nl")
	 ("bugtraq" "\\(to\\|cc\\):.*BUGTRAQ@SECURITYFOCUS.COM")
	 ("personal" "")))
;	 ("Linux Today" "\\(from):.*lt@linuxtoday.com*")
;	 ("Linux Today Security" "\\(from):.*lt@linuxtoday.com*")

(setq user-mail-address "frhart@home.nl")
(setq
 message-default-headers

;(setq gnus-check-new-newsgroups nil)
(setq gnus-read-active-file 'some)
;(setq gnus-nov-is-evil nil)
;(setq gnus-save-killed-list nil)
(add-hook 'gnus-group-mode-hook 'gnus-topic-mode)
(setq browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-netscape)
(setq gnus-expert-user t)
;(setq gnus-subscribe-topics t)

Again, thanks for any help.

--
Frank Hart - mailto:frhart@home.nl
SuSE Linux 6.3 - Kernel 2.2.14 on a i686 450 Mhz with 128 Mb RAM

* Re: Still having very strange mail problems
@ 2000-01-20 18:20 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-01-20 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

You may wish to type `F' to see if that makes Gnus display the
nnml:mail.misc group.  Or try `A A' if that doesn't work.

Use Gnus 5.8, it's better than 5.6.
kai