* message sending is slooow when message-subscribed-address-functions set to gnus-find-subscribed-addresses.
@ 2002-06-04  3:17 Maciej Matysiak
From: Maciej Matysiak @ 2002-06-04  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi,

recently i set
 (setq message-subscribed-address-functions '(gnus-find-subscribed-addresses))
and since then it takes gnus about 15 seconds to send a mail. i find it very
annoying :( on what factors does the speed of gnus-find-subscribed-addresses
depend? i'd like to have the mft header and reasonable message sending time :)
what information can i provide to help solving the problem?

 m.m.
ps. my machine is athlon-750 with 256mb ram.
--
 use gnus, not guns!

* Re: message sending is slooow when message-subscribed-address-functions set to gnus-find-subscribed-addresses.
@ 2002-06-04 13:56 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-06-04 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maciej Matysiak <phoner@blah.pl> wrote:
> recently i set
>  (setq message-subscribed-address-functions '(gnus-find-subscribed-addresses))
> and since then it takes gnus about 15 seconds to send a mail.

Assuming your to-list and to-address parameters don't change very
often, you could try this instead:
(setq message-subscribed-regexps (gnus-find-subscribed-addresses))

Then it won't check all your groups for every message.  Faster, but
possibly less up-to-date.

paul

* Re: message sending is slooow when message-subscribed-address-functions set to gnus-find-subscribed-addresses.
@ 2002-06-06 13:01   ` Maciej Matysiak
From: Maciej Matysiak @ 2002-06-06 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On the 4th of June 2002 at 15:56, prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) wrote:

> Assuming your to-list and to-address parameters don't change very
> often

they change once a month (my mail is sorted in groups which have names
like ding-l-2002-06).

> you could try this instead:
>  (setq message-subscribed-regexps (gnus-find-subscribed-addresses))

thank you :) executing that code took ~15 seconds (why is it so slow?),
but now i got m-f-t with (setq message-subscribed-address-functions nil).

> Faster, but possibly less up-to-date.

i'm happy with it.

 m.m.
--

@ 2002-06-06 13:51     ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-06-06 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maciej Matysiak <phoner@blah.pl> wrote:
> On the 4th of June 2002 at 15:56, prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) wrote:
>>  (setq message-subscribed-regexps (gnus-find-subscribed-addresses))
>
> thank you :) executing that code took ~15 seconds (why is it so slow?),

Well, it checks group parameters in all your groups, and there are
lots of ways to set group parameters.  If you have lots of groups,
that will slow it down.  Profile it if you're curious.

paul

* Re: message sending is slooow when message-subscribed-address-functions set to gnus-find-subscribed-addresses.
@ 2002-06-06 13:54     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-06-06 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maciej Matysiak <phoner@blah.pl> writes:

> On the 4th of June 2002 at 15:56, prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) wrote:
>
>> Assuming your to-list and to-address parameters don't change very
>> often
>
> they change once a month (my mail is sorted in groups which have names
> like ding-l-2002-06).

One can use midnight.el to have that code be executed after midnight.

kai
--
Silence is foo!