* Forwarding big attachment.
@ 2001-01-15  9:36 Paul Stevenson
From: Paul Stevenson @ 2001-01-15  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.
Someone emailed me a huge picture as an attachment.  I decided to
forward it to another mail account I have for some good reason which
now escapes me.  I entered the group and had the appropriate article
displayed, and typed 'S o m' since that is the keystroke I can
remember when I need to forward things.

  Now gnus decided it needed to decode the attachments and re-encode
before forwarding.  This was wretched, as they were big base64
attachments, and this is a slow old sun machine.  If I ask nicely I
might get a newer emacs installed which can do base64 ..coding more
quickly, but is it really necessary for gnus to decode then recode
when forwarding?

--
.   Paul Stevenson   .   Research Fellow   .   University of Surrey     .
.     phone: +44 (0) 1483 876795     .     fax +44 (0) 1483 876781      .

* Re: Forwarding big attachment.
@ 2001-01-15  9:43 ` Paul Stevenson
From: Paul Stevenson @ 2001-01-15  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Stevenson <P.Stevenson@surrey.ac.uk> writes:

> Hello.Someone emailed me a huge picture as an attachment.  I decided to

Oh weird.  The article as composed and Gcc'd succesfully to my
sent-mail folder had a newline between the "Hello." and the "Someone".
Could this be gnus' fault, or some intermediate MTA's?  Or my fault for
having

;; don't archive attachments
(defadvice gnus-inews-do-gcc
  (around gnus-news-do-gcc-inhibit-body-encoding  first activate)
  (let ((message-inhibit-body-encoding t))
    ad-do-it))

in my .gnus file?

* Re: Forwarding big attachment.
@ 2001-01-15  9:51 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-01-15  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think if you use `S D r' for resending, then it won't be decoded and
encoded again.
kai
--
Be indiscrete.  Do it continuously.

* Re: Forwarding big attachment.
@ 2001-01-16  8:18   ` Felix Hagemann
From: Felix Hagemann @ 2001-01-16  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I think if you use `S D r' for resending, then it won't be decoded and
> encoded again.

What's the difference then between `C-c C-f' (gnus-summary-mail-forward)
and `S D r' (gnus-summary-resend-message)?  Does it have to do with the
handling of attachments?

Bye,
Fx

--
You enter the house at the end of the N/S road.  A scantily clad female
is approaching you.

* Re: Forwarding big attachment.
@ 2001-01-16 12:18     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-01-16 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16 Jan 2001, Felix Hagemann wrote:

> What's the difference then between `C-c C-f'
> (gnus-summary-mail-forward) and `S D r'
> (gnus-summary-resend-message)?  Does it have to do with the handling
> of attachments?

`S D r' just hands the msg to sendmail again, giving a new recipient
address.  Nothing at all is changed in the msg.  (Only a new Resent-To
header is added, but the body doesn't change.)

`C-c C-f' creates a new message with the old one as an attachment.
This allows you to add more text.

kai
--

@ 2001-01-18 14:22   ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-01-18 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Stevenson <p.stevenson@surrey.ac.uk> writes:
> Paul Stevenson <P.Stevenson@surrey.ac.uk> writes:
> > Hello.Someone emailed me a huge picture as an attachment.  I decided to
>
> Oh weird.  The article as composed and Gcc'd succesfully to my
> sent-mail folder had a newline between the "Hello." and the "Someone".

The newline is also present in the copy I received, so the problem
seems to be at your receiving end.  I'm using 5.8.7 with nnmaildir,
FWIW.

paul

* Re: Forwarding big attachment.
@ 2001-01-18 14:33     ` Paul Stevenson
From: Paul Stevenson @ 2001-01-18 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Paul Stevenson <p.stevenson@surrey.ac.uk> writes:
> >
> > > Hello.Someone emailed me a huge picture as an attachment.  I decided to
> >
> > Oh weird.  The article as composed and Gcc'd succesfully to my
> > sent-mail folder had a newline between the "Hello." and the "Someone".
>
> The newline is also present in the copy I received, so the problem
> seems to be at your receiving end.  I'm using 5.8.7 with nnmaildir,
> FWIW.

Thanks for the response.  I no longer have the Incoming* file, but
it's mangled in the nnfolder file (i.e. gnus isn't washing it oddly so
that it only appears wrongly when displayed).  I'll see if I can get
the mail people here interested.