* IMAP question
@ 2000-12-05 22:53 Georg C. F. Greve
From: Georg C. F. Greve @ 2000-12-05 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I'd like to put my whole email stuff on IMAP... but of course I need
to have my splitting working. After reading the info file, I assumed
that putting:

(setq nnimap-split-inbox
      '("INBOX"))
(setq nnimap-split-rule 'nnmail-split-fancy)

into my .gnus would just have the nnimap backend use the nnmail
splitting rules. But it doesn't work: the mail stays in the INBOX.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

Regards,
        Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve <greve@gnu.org>
the monthly GNU forum in English, German,

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 268 bytes --]

* Re: IMAP question
@ 2000-12-07  6:44 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-12-07  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 05 Dec 2000, Georg C. F. Greve wrote:

> (setq nnimap-split-inbox
>       '("INBOX"))
> (setq nnimap-split-rule 'nnmail-split-fancy)

Can you try to set nnimap-split-rule to nnimap-split-fancy, instead,
and then set nnimap-split-fancy to the ruleset for fancy splitting?
Does that work?

kai
--
The arms should be held in a natural and unaffected way and never
be conspicuous. -- Revised Technique of Latin American Dancing

* Re: IMAP question
@ 2000-12-07  7:20   ` Georg C. F. Greve
From: Georg C. F. Greve @ 2000-12-07  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

 || On 07 Dec 2000 07:44:39 +0100
 || Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) wrote:

 kg> Can you try to set nnimap-split-rule to nnimap-split-fancy,
 kg> instead, and then set nnimap-split-fancy to the ruleset for fancy
 kg> splitting?  Does that work?

Okay, set it to:

(setq nnimap-split-inbox
      '("INBOX"))

(setq nnimap-split-rule 'nnimap-split-fancy)
(setq nnimap-split-fancy nnmail-split-fancy)

and no, it does not seem to work. Don't have time for extensive tests
right now but a mail that I sent to it should have gone to "mail.mine"
and instead it was there sitting in imap+home+INBOX.

Later,
        Georg

--

@ 2000-12-07  8:48 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-12-07  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

"Georg C. F. Greve" wrote:

> (setq nnimap-split-inbox
>       '("INBOX"))
> (setq nnimap-split-rule 'nnmail-split-fancy)
>
> into my .gnus would just have the nnimap backend use the nnmail
> splitting rules. But it doesn't work: the mail stays in the INBOX.

The config look good.  May it be that you haven't subscribed to any
nnimap group, thus not triggering the split code?  You could try M-x
edebug-defun `nnimap-split-article' and step through to see what it
actually does.

Also you might want to look at `imap-log', perhaps there's a permission
problem or something. (On Cyrus IMAPD servers, mailboxes are normally
named "INBOX.whatever", rather than just "whatever". So unless your
nnmail-split-fancy variable contain the "INBOX." prefix, nnimap can't
save your mail.)

* Re: IMAP question
@ 2000-12-07 10:02   ` Georg C. F. Greve
From: Georg C. F. Greve @ 2000-12-07 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

 || On Thu, 07 Dec 2000 09:48:30 +0100
 || Simon Josefsson <sjosefsson@rsasecurity.com> wrote:

 sj> Also you might want to look at `imap-log', perhaps there's a
 sj> permission problem or something. (On Cyrus IMAPD servers,
 sj> mailboxes are normally named "INBOX.whatever", rather than just
 sj> "whatever". So unless your nnmail-split-fancy variable contain
 sj> the "INBOX." prefix, nnimap can't save your mail.)

It seems that this was the cause of the problem. After putting a few
fancy splitting rules into nnimap-split-fancy, it did auto-create the
INBOX.mine mailbox as it should and I was able to read it. Thanks.

So now it seems I either have to change all my splitting rules to
something with INBOX.* or get myself another IMAP
server. Recommendations, anyone?

Regards,
                Georg

P.S. Anyone have experience with a good & reliable utility to keep two
IMAP repositories/servers in sync even if one is offline for a while
and both might have been changed?

--

@ 2000-12-09  3:17     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-12-09  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Simon Josefsson, ding

On 07 Dec 2000, Georg C. F. Greve wrote:

> P.S. Anyone have experience with a good & reliable utility to keep
> two IMAP repositories/servers in sync even if one is offline for a
> while and both might have been changed?

I don't think that this is possible.  Suppose server A has message foo
but it is missing from server B.  This could be because message foo is
new on server A or because it was deleted from server B.  I don't know
how the difference can be detected.

You could use Gnus Agent (Gnus unplugged), that knows how to keep in
sync a local copy of the IMAP messages and the IMAP server.  (The
reason this works is that nnimap keeps a file of notes and stores
information that the user has deleted a message.)

kai