* Gnus IMAP mail access
@ 2001-12-06  9:05 Peter Weiss, Sun Microsystems, Germany
From: Peter Weiss, Sun Microsystems, Germany @ 2001-12-06  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello out there,

    me again, getting not the gnus way on what method to use to select a
    temporary mailbox for a common group related account. As far as I
    understand there are 4 ways to specify incomming sources in gnus:

    o Setting gnus-select-method/ gnus-secondary-select-methods/ mail-sources
      in the .gnus file. This is inconvenient for accessing temporary mail
      boxes.

    o Using the gnus-group-make-* functions bound to the G * keys. This does
      not include the possibility for accessing IMAP groups.

    o Using B (gnus-browse-foreign-server) After specifying server/ login/
      password I get the following buffer but I'm unable to select the INBOX:

         K      0: Drafts
         K      3: INBOX
         K      0: Sent
         K      1: Trash

      Emacs message buffer looks like this

         IMAP password for cc-solaris-fl@cores: ........

         Reading active file...
         nnimap: Generating active list for cores...done
         Reading active file...done
         Connecting to cores...done
         Opening nnimap server on cores-ephemeral...

         Retrieving newsgroup: nnimap+cores-ephemeral:INBOX...
         Opening nnimap server on cores-ephemeral...

         gnus-select-newsgroup: Couldn't request group nnimap+cores-ephemeral:INBOX: nil
         Mark set
         call-interactively: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *Gnus Browse Server*>

    o Using the server buffer. Currently my server buffer looks like this:

        {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
        {nntp:uk-usenet.uk} (opened)
        {nnimap:cores} (closed)
        {nnmbox:test} (closed)
        {nndoc:/home/pw105345/tmp/Downloads/gnus-5.8.8/etc/gnus-tut.txt} (closed)
        {nndraft:} (opened)
        {nndoc:/home/pw105345/Mail/emsend} (opened)
        {nnmbox:emsend} (opened)
        {nnml:} (opened)
        {nnml:nnml} (opened)

      I think there are obsolete entries (How do delete entries in this
      buffer?). As far as I understand gnus this should be the best way to
      reach my goal. Editing the nnimap:cores group, I'm not sure how to
      specify the name and password of the common account. There's nothing
      said about this on the IMAP info page.

   Can someone lead me out of this maze?

   TIA -- Peter

--
Consultant der CLASS AG   http://www.class.de
Technical Services

* Re: Gnus IMAP mail access
@ 2001-12-06  9:43 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-12-06  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Peter.Weiss@germany.sun.com (Peter Weiss, Sun Microsystems, Germany) writes:

>     o Setting gnus-select-method/ gnus-secondary-select-methods/ mail-sources
>       in the .gnus file. This is inconvenient for accessing temporary mail
>       boxes.

Maybe.

Mail-sources is not relevant for IMAP, though.

>     o Using the gnus-group-make-* functions bound to the G * keys. This does
>       not include the possibility for accessing IMAP groups.

No, `G m' needs a server already.  So you have to create a server.
You can create a server via gnus-secondary-select-methods or as a
foreign server.

>     o Using B (gnus-browse-foreign-server) After specifying server/ login/
>       password I get the following buffer but I'm unable to select the INBOX:
>
>          K      0: Drafts
>          K      3: INBOX
>          K      0: Sent
>          K      1: Trash
>
>       Emacs message buffer looks like this
>
>          IMAP password for cc-solaris-fl@cores: ........
>
>          Reading active file...
>          nnimap: Generating active list for cores...done
>          Reading active file...done
>          Connecting to cores...done
>          Opening nnimap server on cores-ephemeral...
>
>          Retrieving newsgroup: nnimap+cores-ephemeral:INBOX...
>          Opening nnimap server on cores-ephemeral...
>
>          gnus-select-newsgroup: Couldn't request group nnimap+cores-ephemeral:INBOX: nil
>          Mark set
>          call-interactively: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *Gnus Browse Server*>

Strange.  Have no idea how come.

>     o Using the server buffer. Currently my server buffer looks like this:
>
>         {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
>         {nntp:uk-usenet.uk} (opened)
>         {nnimap:cores} (closed)
>         {nnmbox:test} (closed)
>         {nndoc:/home/pw105345/tmp/Downloads/gnus-5.8.8/etc/gnus-tut.txt} (closed)
>         {nndraft:} (opened)
>         {nndoc:/home/pw105345/Mail/emsend} (opened)
>         {nnmbox:emsend} (opened)
>         {nnml:} (opened)
>         {nnml:nnml} (opened)
>
>       I think there are obsolete entries (How do delete entries in this
>       buffer?). As far as I understand gnus this should be the best way to
>       reach my goal. Editing the nnimap:cores group, I'm not sure how to
>       specify the name and password of the common account. There's nothing
>       said about this on the IMAP info page.

You don't have to specify user and passwd; Gnus will ask you.  But if
you don't want to type it, you can put it in ~/.authinfo.

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)

* Re: Gnus IMAP mail access
@ 2001-12-06 10:23   ` Peter Weiss, Sun Microsystems, Germany
From: Peter Weiss, Sun Microsystems, Germany @ 2001-12-06 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Peter Weiss, Sun Microsystems, Germany, ding

Thanks Kai for answering!

Kai> Peter.Weiss@germany.sun.com (Peter Weiss, Sun Microsystems, Germany) writes:
>> o Setting gnus-select-method/ gnus-secondary-select-methods/ mail-sources
>> in the .gnus file. This is inconvenient for accessing temporary mail
>> boxes.

Kai> Maybe.

Kai> Mail-sources is not relevant for IMAP, though.

>> o Using the gnus-group-make-* functions bound to the G * keys. This does
>> not include the possibility for accessing IMAP groups.

Kai> No, `G m' needs a server already.  So you have to create a server.
Kai> You can create a server via gnus-secondary-select-methods or as a
Kai> foreign server.

>> o Using B (gnus-browse-foreign-server) After specifying server/ login/
>> password I get the following buffer but I'm unable to select the INBOX:
>>
>> [...]
>> Mark set
>> call-interactively: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *Gnus Browse Server*>

Kai> Strange.  Have no idea how come.

Now this works, after having entered it with an alternate name of the server.
I think during my experiments there went something wrong -- just mystic.

>> o Using the server buffer. Currently my server buffer looks like this:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> I think there are obsolete entries (How do delete entries in this
>> buffer?). As far as I understand gnus this should be the best way to
>> reach my goal. Editing the nnimap:cores group, I'm not sure how to
>> specify the name and password of the common account. There's nothing
>> said about this on the IMAP info page.

Kai> You don't have to specify user and passwd; Gnus will ask you.  But if
Kai> you don't want to type it, you can put it in ~/.authinfo.

When selecting an opened connection to the IMAP server I only get a error
signal without any error message.

Thanks anyway -- Peter

--

@ 2001-12-06 10:36     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-12-06 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Peter.Weiss@germany.sun.com (Peter Weiss, Sun Microsystems, Germany) writes:

> When selecting an opened connection to the IMAP server I only get a
> error signal without any error message.

I don't understand what this means.  Can you explain in more detail?
What do you do to "select an opened connection to the IMAP server"?
What is the difference between an openend one and an unopened one?
What happens when you do the selection?  (What's an "error signal"?)

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)