* nnml-split-fancy problems
@ 2000-01-09 18:06 Arcady Genkin
From: Arcady Genkin @ 2000-01-09 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've just added a filter for yet another mailing list to my
nnml-split-fancy variable. Somehow the filter doesn't work, and _all_
mail from this mailing list goes into a catch-all junk group.

However, respooling the messages from the junk group (B r) puts them
exactly where they need to be. So the filter works only for
respooling.

All other filters work w/o a problem.

The filter in question is for "owner-cs318" below:

(setq nnmail-split-fancy
      '(|
	("x-mailing-list" "wm-user" "mail.WindowMaker")
        ;; [ ... ]
        ;; THIS IS THE ONE \/ \/ \/ \/ (below)
	("x-from-line" "owner-cs318" "mail.University.csc318")
        ;; [ ... ]
        (to "\\(genkin\\|agenkin\\)@\\(utoronto\\|home\\|canada\\)\\.c\\(a\\|om\\)"
	    "mail.Private")
        ;; Catch all (Should be junk.)
        "mail.Junk"))

Does anyone see what's wrong?
Thanks!
--
Arcady Genkin                                 http://www.thpoon.com
"'What good is my pity? Is not the pity the cross upon which he who

* Re: nnml-split-fancy problems
@ 2000-01-10  9:55 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-01-10  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> writes:

>         ;; THIS IS THE ONE \/ \/ \/ \/ (below)
> 	("x-from-line" "owner-cs318" "mail.University.csc318")

I think I got bitten by this, too.  I think that the "From " to
"X-From-Line:" conversion hasn't happened yet when nnmail-split-fancy
is being called, and nnmail-split-fancy only groks colon-terminated
headers.

So, in effect, you can't split on that line.  Is there another header
in those mails that you could use?  Sender, say?

kai

* Re: nnml-split-fancy problems
@ 2000-01-10 11:33   ` Arcady Genkin
From: Arcady Genkin @ 2000-01-10 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Groъjohann) writes:

> Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> writes:
>
> >         ;; THIS IS THE ONE \/ \/ \/ \/ (below)
> > 	("x-from-line" "owner-cs318" "mail.University.csc318")
>
> I think I got bitten by this, too.  I think that the "From " to
> "X-From-Line:" conversion hasn't happened yet when nnmail-split-fancy
> is being called, and nnmail-split-fancy only groks colon-terminated
> headers.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand that "From" bit of your reply. Do you
mean that the header "X-From-Line:" appears in the message after it
passes thru gnus's backend?

> So, in effect, you can't split on that line.  Is there another header
> in those mails that you could use?  Sender, say?

I guess I can. Thanks!
--

@ 2000-01-10 11:53     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-01-10 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> writes:

> I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand that "From" bit of your reply. Do you
> mean that the header "X-From-Line:" appears in the message after it
> passes thru gnus's backend?

Often, messages are stored in mbox format: each message begins with a
line starting with "From " (note the space) and ends with an empty
line.  The From_ line (as it is also called) is not a header since it
does not start with "From:" (note the colon).  After the From_ line
come the headers of the message, then an empty line, then the body,
and finally the terminating empty line.

In the nnml backend, each file contains one message, and the message
consists of headers, an empty line, and the body.  Note that nnml
format does not allow for the From_ line, only for headers.
Therefore, Gnus (maybe the nnml backend) rewrites the From_ line into
an X-From-Line header (with colon).

I think the rewriting happens after splitting.  Therefore, the
splitting process does not see the X-From-Line header.  And you can't
split on the From_ line since it is not a header.

kai