* Can Gnus read HTML format email messages?
@ 1997-07-03 13:47 Matthew Wong <Matthew Wong
From: Matthew Wong <Matthew Wong @ 1997-07-03 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

that has been posted to gnu.emacs.gnus as well.

I just read a disscussion on can vm read HTML format email, just wonder does
Gnus read HTML format email?? Either thru W3 or netscape??

--
//b matthew@servo.engga.uwo.ca
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* Re: Can Gnus read HTML format email messages?
@ 1997-07-03 18:22 ` Justin J. Sheehy
From: Justin J. Sheehy @ 1997-07-03 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

that has been posted as well.

"Matthew Wong <Matthew Wong"<matthew@servo.engga.uwo.ca> writes:

> I just read a disscussion on can vm read HTML format email, just wonder does
> Gnus read HTML format email?? Either thru W3 or netscape??

"HTML format email" is a rather silly phrase.

HTML is a format for web pages and similar things, often transmitted
by HTTP.  It is not a valid format for email messages.

You can probably get w3 to read it, but you should soundly beat the
authors of the message and the authors of their software instead.

--
Justin Sheehy

In a cloud bones of steel.

* Re: Can Gnus read HTML format email messages?
@ 1997-07-04  7:59 ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1997-07-04  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

/ "Matthew Wong <Matthew Wong"<matthew@servo.engga.uwo.ca> wrote:

| I just read a disscussion on can vm read HTML format email, just wonder does
| Gnus read HTML format email?? Either thru W3 or netscape??

Hmm something like tm (mime-ing) and telling it to launch netscape or
w3 when finding an html-attachment?

	/a

--
 Hi I am an alien .sig, and at the moment I am having sex to your
 mind, by looking at your smile I can see that you like it.

 Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
 See <http://www.fukt.hk-r.se/~flognat/mail/> for more info.

* Re: Can Gnus read HTML format email messages?
@ 1997-07-09 11:43   ` Arne Elofsson
From: Arne Elofsson @ 1997-07-09 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andy Eskilsson <flognat@fukt.hk-r.se> writes:

> / "Matthew Wong <Matthew Wong"<matthew@servo.engga.uwo.ca> wrote:
> |
> | I just read a disscussion on can vm read HTML format email, just wonder does
> | Gnus read HTML format email?? Either thru W3 or netscape??
> |

> Hmm something like tm (mime-ing) and telling it to launch netscape or
> w3 when finding an html-attachment?

I think it does automatically, not to much fun though.

Can I tell gnus to uset netscape when I click on an link but w3 when I
read a html email message ?

arne

              The more I use Windows, the more I love Linux
 Arne Elofsson     arne@bimbo.biokemi.su.se http://www.biokemi.su.se/~arne/
 Tel:+46(0)8-161553      Dept of Biochemistry, Stockholm University
 Fax:+46(0)8-153679	 10691 Stockholm, Sweden

* Re: Can Gnus read HTML format email messages?
@ 1997-07-09 13:26     ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-07-09 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Arne> Can I tell gnus to uset netscape when I click on an link but
  Arne> w3 when I read a html email message ?

AFAIK, Gnus uses browse-url-browser-function to determine the browser
to use when you click a link.

TM has some other variable to determine its Web browser.  Maybe it's
always an external one, though :-(

kai
--
A large number of young women don't trust men with beards.
(BFBS Radio)

* Re: Can Gnus read HTML format email messages?
@ 1997-07-09 11:46 ` Arne Elofsson
From: Arne Elofsson @ 1997-07-09 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think this could be a pretty good thing actually. It would be kinda
the nnweb backend for evertyone that does not use gnus. I think we are
to nredish if we just say, bad bad take away. Ofcourse the correct
thing to do is not to email it to people but to use a news server. But
franky how many of your computer novice friends read newsgroups ?
Ofcourse you should not include the picture etc that you send, ony the
links to them.

@ 1997-07-06 15:42     ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1997-07-06 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Justin J. Sheehy" <justin@linus.mitre.org> writes:

> (...) caught by filter rules that nuke HTML mail[1]
[...]
> [1]  which everyone ought to have, of course...

Why would I need it?  I haven't received too much HTML mail so far
(discounting the spammers, but I have other means of filtering them
away.)

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: Can Gnus read HTML format email messages?
@ 1997-07-04 21:01   ` Justin J. Sheehy
From: Justin J. Sheehy @ 1997-07-04 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

dsg@linus.mitre.org (David S. Goldberg) writes:

> Just what I always wanted.  HTML formatted spam.  Sigh.

I think it's ok for the simple reason that it will be caught by filter
rules that nuke HTML mail[1] and thus I won't have to see it.

Still bad for net traffic reasons, but.

@ 1997-07-03 22:51   ` Graham C. Hughes
From: Graham C. Hughes @ 1997-07-03 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

* Re: Can Gnus read HTML format email messages?
@ 1997-07-03 20:35 ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1997-07-03 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just what I always wanted.  HTML formatted spam.  Sigh.

--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730

* RE: Can Gnus read HTML format email messages?
@ 1997-07-03 19:00 Brian Gorka
From: Brian Gorka @ 1997-07-03 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

by Frank Barnako

** Special edition: Push technology companies at peril

A prediction that the next-generation of Web clients and browsers
from Netscape and Microsoft will drive "push" technology companies
out of the consumer market was made Thursday by a veteran Net
entrepreneur and consultant.

Vin Crosbie, president of consulting firm Digital Deliverance, told
DBC Internet Daily, Microsoft's CDF (channel definition format) and
Netscape's Netcaster formats will become the predominant
push-delivery vehicles for publishers.

Products like PointCast, Intermind, and BackWeb, which allow users
to subscribe to Web sites' content packages for automatic delivery,
each require users to download a software program. None is
compatible with the other, and some can cause computer lockups and
crashes. No one company can deliver all the Net's content, so
consumers have to download several clients. To Crosbie, it's a
non-nerd's nightmare.

"But publishers have to do something," Crosbie said. "They all have
Web sites, but no circulation. Their business model is, in
publishing terms, to hope a reader will call the circulation
department every day and ask for home delivery of the current
edition. That goes against our habits. When we want something, we
want it now."

** The next big thing: the old thing

Crosbie's solution is HTML-coded e-mail, offering publishers the
opportunity to include not only text but also graphics and,
eventually sound and video. This is also at the core of his New
York City consulting business; helping publishers like the New
Century Network's just-debuted Web site (http://www.newsworks.com )
to utilize e-mail to deliver readers what they want, when they want
it.

He says the catalyst for the spectacular growth of the World Wide
Web was Netscape co-founder Mark Andreessen's work that produced a
Web browser that could display graphics. E-mail, already the Net's
'killer app', says Crosbie, "is about to become catalyzed by HTML
e-mail. Since everybody has it, publishers should use it."

** Focus, focus, focus

But not all publishers "get it." That's why he thinks Denver-based
Mercury Mail is on the right track when its service allows users to
filter what they receive. "You subscribe to news about your team,
and get whatever the team does." Crosbie argues publishers think in
terms of sports "pages." Readers think in terms of "sports" or
"teams". He believes push technology companies and e-mail
publishers should take notice of this need he describes as
"discretion," delivering to users only the information in which
they are interested. He is hopeful the e-mail project he's
developed for NCN will prove that. It is due to begin operations
late this Summer.

** Some advertisers get it

Crosbie got into the Net business while developing content concepts
and marketing strategies for one of the first two free e-mail
services. Freemark failed, but Juno is alive and well, and finding
support from advertisers, says Crosbie. "It's fine to put your ad
on a Web site and hope people will come to see it a few times a
week," he argues, "but isn't it better to have guaranteed delivery,
daily, to a guaranteed list of advertiser-desirable targets?"

** Vin Crosbie is president of Digital Deliverance, a new media
business planning and strategy firm specializing in information
marketing and circulation issues. He can be contacted via email at
crosbie@well.com.

The Internet Daily (TM) is originally published and edited by Data
Broadcasting Corp. (NASDAQ: DBCC)