* decoding quoted-printable
@ 2001-01-06 17:31 Thomas Hungenberg
From: Thomas Hungenberg @ 2001-01-06 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

I use Gnus 5.8.7 and for a while I noticed that sometimes articles
contain quoted-printable encoded characters which are not decoded.

I just found out that this seems to happen with *all* messages which
are encoded like this:

If I use umlauts in my own messages, the messages also get
qp-encoded by Gnus. When reading the messages from the sent-mail-
folder, the characters also are not decoded.

I don't know if my Gnus always didn't decode qp, but I don't think
so. I just fiddled around with my configuration, but I couldn't find a
solution for this problem.

My .gnus contains the following lines which deal with charsets or mime
decoding:

(setq gnus-newsgroup-ignored-charsets '(gnus-unknown))
(require 'mm-util)
(defun mm-read-charset (prompt)
  "Return a charset."
  'iso-8859-1)
(setq gnus-default-posting-charset (quote iso-8859-1))
(setq gnus-article-decode-mime-words t)
(setq gnus-article-decode-charset 1)

Any ideas how I can make my Gnus display quoted-printable correctly?

      - Thomas

--
Thomas Hungenberg - Student of Applied Computer Science
PGP: 2047Bit RSA, ID 0x668E601D - Encrypted mail welcome!

* Re: decoding quoted-printable
@ 2001-01-08  9:36 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-01-08  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

My Gnus 5.8 deals correctly with qp encoded messages.  Maybe you have
TM installed, maybe you use TM?  If this is the case, turn off TM.  TM
and Gnus step on each other's toes when doing the MIME thing.
kai
--
~/.signature

* Re: decoding quoted-printable
@ 2001-01-08 12:45   ` Thomas Hungenberg
From: Thomas Hungenberg @ 2001-01-08 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 08 Jan 2001 10:36:34 +0100,
Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) said:

> My Gnus 5.8 deals correctly with qp encoded messages.  Maybe you have
> TM installed, maybe you use TM?  If this is the case, turn off TM.  TM
> and Gnus step on each other's toes when doing the MIME thing.

I don't use TM and the rest of the MIME support seems to work well.

      - Thomas

--

@ 2001-01-08 17:30     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-01-08 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 08 Jan 2001, Thomas Hungenberg wrote:

> I don't use TM and the rest of the MIME support seems to work well.

Well, I could read your message just fine, for example, and I saw my
last name correctly.  It was qp encoded.  Hm.

I wonder, maybe you are using the wrong qp.el?  What does M-x
list-load-path-shadows RET say about this file?  And M-x
locate-library RET qp RET?

kai
--
~/.signature

* Re: decoding quoted-printable
@ 2001-01-08 20:16       ` Thomas Hungenberg
From: Thomas Hungenberg @ 2001-01-08 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 08 Jan 2001 18:30:18 +0100,
Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) said:

> Well, I could read your message just fine, for example, and I saw my
> last name correctly.  It was qp encoded.  Hm.

The "From:"-line of your message looks like this here:
From: Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai =?iso-8859-1?q?Gro=DFjohann?=)

When composing a reply message, your name is displayed correctly
(with umlauts).

> I wonder, maybe you are using the wrong qp.el?  What does M-x
> list-load-path-shadows RET say about this file?

About which file? The Buffer *Shadows* does not contain any "q" here.

>  And M-x locate-library RET qp RET?

It shows [path-to-my-gnus]/gnus-5.8.7/lisp/qp.elc which seems to be
correct.

      - Thomas

--

@ 2001-01-09  3:52 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-01-09  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas Hungenberg <th@demonium.de> writes:

[...]

> (require 'mm-util)
> (defun mm-read-charset (prompt)
>   "Return a charset."
>   'iso-8859-1)

If you use non-Mule XEmacs, have you tried
(setq message-default-charset 'iso-8859-1) ?

> (setq gnus-default-posting-charset (quote iso-8859-1))

This variable is bogus.

> (setq gnus-article-decode-mime-words t)
> (setq gnus-article-decode-charset 1)

These two variables don't belong to Gnus.

> Any ideas how I can make my Gnus display quoted-printable correctly?

Try Gnus 5.8.8 from ftp.gnus.org. qp.el and rfc2047.el are changed a
lot after Gnus 5.8.7 was released.

ShengHuo

* Re: decoding quoted-printable
@ 2001-01-09 12:45         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-01-09 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 08 Jan 2001, Thomas Hungenberg wrote:
> On 08 Jan 2001 18:30:18 +0100,
> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) said:
>

>> Well, I could read your message just fine, for example, and I saw
>> my last name correctly.  It was qp encoded.  Hm.
>
> The "From:"-line of your message looks like this here: From:
> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai
> =?iso-8859-1?q?Gro=DFjohann?=)

And how does the ß in `...@... (Kai Großjohann) said:' look?  When I
view your messages, it looks okay.

> When composing a reply message, your name is displayed correctly
> (with umlauts).

Same here.

>> I wonder, maybe you are using the wrong qp.el?  What does M-x
>> list-load-path-shadows RET say about this file?
>
> About which file? The Buffer *Shadows* does not contain any "q"
> here.

Ok.  I meant the file qp.el, of course.

>>  And M-x locate-library RET qp RET?
>
> It shows [path-to-my-gnus]/gnus-5.8.7/lisp/qp.elc which seems to be
> correct.

Yes, this seems to be correct.

I'm stymied.

kai
--
~/.signature

* Re: decoding quoted-printable
@ 2001-01-09 12:46   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-01-09 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 08 Jan 2001, ShengHuo ZHU wrote:
> Thomas Hungenberg <th@demonium.de> writes:
>
>> (setq gnus-article-decode-mime-words t)
>> (setq gnus-article-decode-charset 1)
>
> These two variables don't belong to Gnus.

For Thomas: they are function names, not variable names.

kai
--
~/.signature

* Re: decoding quoted-printable
@ 2001-01-10 12:52   ` Thomas Hungenberg
From: Thomas Hungenberg @ 2001-01-10 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 08 Jan 2001 22:52:00 -0500, ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> said:

>> (setq gnus-default-posting-charset (quote iso-8859-1))

> This variable is bogus.

Why? The "Hyper Help" says:

Variables and Constants:

gnus-default-posting-charset

   Default charset assumed to be used when posting non-ASCII
   characters.  This variable is overridden on a group-to-group basis
   by the gnus-group-posting-charset-alist variable and is only used
   on groups not covered by that variable.  If nil, no default charset
   is assumed when posting.

>> (setq gnus-article-decode-mime-words t)
>> (setq gnus-article-decode-charset 1)

> These two variables don't belong to Gnus.

Mmmhh, "Hyper Help" lists them in "Variables and Constants" and says:

gnus-article-decode-mime-words:
Decode all MIME-encoded words in the article.

gnus-article-decode-charset:
Decode charset-encoded text in the article.
If PROMPT (the prefix), prompt for a coding system to use.

I took these lines from a sample configuration I found somewhere on
the web and a posting on ding or in the gnus-newsgroup.

      - Thomas

--

@ 2001-01-10 14:11     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-01-10 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 10 Jan 2001, Thomas Hungenberg wrote:
> On 08 Jan 2001 22:52:00 -0500, ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu>
> said:
>

>>> (setq gnus-default-posting-charset (quote iso-8859-1))
>
>> This variable is bogus.
>
> Why? The "Hyper Help" says:

I think the variable should not be used, even if it exists.  Maybe
it's some leftover code from old versions?

>>> (setq gnus-article-decode-mime-words t)
>>> (setq gnus-article-decode-charset 1)
>
>> These two variables don't belong to Gnus.
>
> Mmmhh, "Hyper Help" lists them in "Variables and Constants" and
> says:
>
> gnus-article-decode-mime-words:
> Decode all MIME-encoded words in the article.
>
> gnus-article-decode-charset:
> Decode charset-encoded text in the article.
> If PROMPT (the prefix), prompt for a coding system to use.

At least for the second one, that's clearly a function description
(note the second line of the description).  So maybe Hyper Help is b0rken?

kai
--
Be indiscrete.  Do it continuously.