* Monthly cleanup and a wee POP error
@ 2000-11-09 13:06 Ian Swainson
From: Ian Swainson @ 2000-11-09 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All,

I'm using nnml as my (only) select method, and get my mail off a pop server. I'm using
Gnus in NTEmacs. When I retrieve mail from pop.indigo.ie, I occasionally get an
error about being unable to link messages. Nothing gets sorted into
folders. When I try again (using 'g'), the mails previously downloaded gets
sorted into folders, and then - as it is still on the server - downloaded
again. The problem seems to happen when new mail arrives into the pop mailbox
whilst a download is taking place, although I'm not exactly sure about that. It
often happens when I am downloading a lot of mail, or downloading a particularly
large mail.
Could someone tell me if:
a. I can prevent this error altogether?
or
b. Can I prevent the messages from being downloaded again?
I've looked into duplicate supression in the manual, but this seems only to deal
with messages that have been read already. Gnus does identify the messages as duplicates
(there is the warning in the header).

Secondly, about once a month I like to get all my nnml folders and zip them up
for storage. I do this using Winzip and then delete the original folders for
Gnus to recreate. I then use nnml-generate-nov-databases to resync the numbers
of the messages so that the total messages count appears correctly in the
summary buffer formatted thusly:
(setq gnus-group-line-format "%M%S%p%P%(%m [%2y] %-20,20g (%3R) %)%l\n")
If I want to then read archived mail, I have to unzip the folder and then point
Gnus at it using the nnfolder select method. Hugely tedious, and I'm sure there
is a better way. The manual seems to deal with the archiving of the 'Sent'
folder only.

I'd be very grateful indeed for any help or suggestions.

Thanks for your time,

Cheers,
Ian Swainson

--
~~~~~~~~~~~Made in Ireland using GNU Emacs~~~~~~~~~~~~
		Available *free* from:

* Re: Monthly cleanup and a wee POP error
@ 2000-11-09 15:23 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-11-09 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Regarding the archiving, why don't you just create a server for
archiving messages, then move the messages to the archiving server
once in a while?

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
             '(nnfolder "arc"
               (nnfolder-directory "~/mailarchive/")))

This might do the trick.  You can automatically zip the files in
question using jka-compr.el or something similar, but I forget how
that works.  Disk space is cheap these days, so I just live with
uncompressed messages in my nnml backend.

kai
--
The arms should be held in a natural and unaffected way and never
be conspicuous. -- Revised Technique of Latin American Dancing