* "G r" not correctly handling nested nnml groups
@ 1997-11-14 11:49 Neil Crellin
From: Neil Crellin @ 1997-11-14 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

[crap. wrote B r, meant G r obviously, superseding]

I have some groups I want to rename eg nnml:lists.foo -> nnml:old.foo.
Said groups have subfolders
eg
        nnml:lists.foo
        nnml:lists.foo.bounces

If I do a "G r lists.foo RET old.foo" it updates lists.foo fine, but
leaves an entry in the *Group* buffer and my .newsrc.el* for
nnml:lists.foo.bounces. If I rename nnml:lists.foo.bounces to
nnml:old.foo.bounces instead, I have an entry for lists.foo that can't
access anything in the folder thats now moved. Is this a fixed bug if
I upgrade to 5.5, or can anyone suggest a workaround?

-Neil Crellin <neilc@stanford.edu>

* Re: "G r" not correctly handling nested nnml groups
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-11-23 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Neil Crellin <neilc@stanford.edu> writes:

> > > but leaves an entry in the *Group* buffer and my .newsrc.el* for
> > > nnml:lists.foo.bounces.
> >
> > Yes; so it should.
>
> Except you then can't access that latter group, because the
> intermediate directory path nnml-directory/lists/foo has been renamed
> nnml-directory/old/foo, and accessing nnml-directory/lists/foo/bounces
> fails with the errors

Oh, you're using Gnus 5.3.  This has been fixed in 5.5.

* Re: "G r" not correctly handling nested nnml groups
@ 1997-11-23 13:29   ` Neil Crellin
From: Neil Crellin @ 1997-11-23 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Neil Crellin <neilc@stanford.edu> writes:
>
> > I have some groups I want to rename eg nnml:lists.foo -> nnml:old.foo.
> > Said groups have subfolders
> > eg
> >         nnml:lists.foo
> >         nnml:lists.foo.bounces
> >
> > If I do a "B r lists.foo RET old.foo" it updates lists.foo fine,
>
> `G r', you mean.

Obviously. I tried to supersede to correct this, no matter.

> > but leaves an entry in the *Group* buffer and my .newsrc.el* for
> > nnml:lists.foo.bounces.
>
> Yes; so it should.

Except you then can't access that latter group, because the
intermediate directory path nnml-directory/lists/foo has been renamed
nnml-directory/old/foo, and accessing nnml-directory/lists/foo/bounces
fails with the errors

Retrieving newsgroup: nnml:lists.foo.bounces...
nnml-directory/lists/foo/bounces/ is not a directory
Couldn't request group nnml:lists.foo.bounces: nnml-directory/lists/foo/bounces/ is not a directory

and an attempt to rename lists.foo.bounces to old.foo.bounces in that
state using G r in the group buffer yields the errors

Renaming group nnml:lists.foo.bounces to nnml:old.foo.bounces...
Couldn't rename group nnml:lists.foo.bounces to nnml:old.foo.bounces

because the intermediate directory lists/foo is now old/foo.

> > If I rename nnml:lists.foo.bounces to nnml:old.foo.bounces instead,
> > I have an entry for lists.foo that can't access anything in the
> > folder thats now moved.
>
> Uhm.  When you rename the second group, the first group reappears?

No, when I attempt the sequence in the other order: ie first G r
lists.foo.bounces to old.foo.bounces (succeeds, renames
nnml-directory/lists/foo/bounces to nnml-directory/old/foo/bounces)
the entry in the *Group* buffer for nnml:lists.foo remains behind, but
is inaccessible

Retrieving newsgroup: nnml:lists.foo...
nnml-directory/lists/foo/ is not a directory
Couldn't request group nnml:lists.foo: nnml-directory/lists/foo/ is not a directory

and any attempt to G r it to old.foo fails

Renaming group nnml:list.foo.bounces to nnml:old.foo.bounces...
Couldn't rename group nnml:lists.foo.bounces to nnml:old.foo.bounces

because there is no longer an intermediate directory lists/foo, it's
now old/foo.

The problem is due to the nesting dependency as you can see.

-Neil Crellin <neilc@stanford.edu>