From: Mark Borges <mdb@cdc.noaa.gov>
Subject: Re: September Gnus 0.39 is released
Date: 20 Feb 1996 14:06:19 -0700	[thread overview]

>> On 20 Feb 1996 09:53:23 -0800,
>> Steven L Baur(sb) wrote:
>>>>>> "mb" == Mark Borges <mdb@cdc.noaa.gov> writes:
mb> Warning: I don't have v0.39 yet (it hasn't propagated to
mb> pilgrim.umass.edu yet), so the comments below may not be
mb> appropriate.

mb> But in v0.38, the overload of set-text-properties is done in
mb> gnus-xmas.el, and is done conditionally only for XEmacs-19.13 and
mb> below. In other words, this patch should not be applied.

sb> Gnus-xmas.el does not redefine set-text-properties if 19.14 is
sb> being run.

Aye, but it used to. That was my caveat above. I just downloaded
v0.39, and gnus-xmas.el has changed:

$ diff -c ~/gnu/lib/xemacs/site-lisp/gnus/gnus-xmas.el gnus-xmas.el

[elided]
***************
*** 304,310 ****

    (require 'text-props)
    (if (< emacs-minor-version 14)
!       (fset 'set-text-properties 'gnus-xmas-set-text-properties))

    (fset 'nnheader-find-file-noselect 'gnus-xmas-find-file-noselect)

--- 304,310 ----

    (require 'text-props)
    (if (< emacs-minor-version 14)
!       (fset 'gnus-set-text-properties 'gnus-xmas-set-text-properties))

    (fset 'nnheader-find-file-noselect 'gnus-xmas-find-file-noselect)

And since XEmacs-19.13 doesn't have set-text-properties() (or one which
is broken, which is the root of all this mess) you get the failure
noted. This defalias

sb> Gnus-ems.el aliases gnus-set-text-properties to be
sb> set-text-properties.

is then pointless, as you've noted. But I think it would have been OK
had gnus-xmas.el not changed.

Lars will (of course) ultimately have to sort out what is the right
thing to do -- overload set-text-properties() for versions of XEmacs
prior to 19.14, as done in v0.38 and before (and possibly incur the
wrath of other elisp hackers) or use his own rolled version and call
gnus-set-text-properties eerywhere, i.e., apply the patch you
submitted.

That said, for 19.14 and beyond I think it should definitely use what
is provided by 'text-props. And complain to the XEmacs developers if
it's broken.

  -mb-