* nnimap doesn't work as gnus-select-method?
@ 2000-05-10 14:36 Michael Alan Dorman
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Michael Alan Dorman @ 2000-05-10 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've moved to IMAP for just about everything except some external news
servers.

Earlier today, I decided that it made sense to make nnimap my
gnus-select-method, since, well, it _is_.  So I made the change.

When I did that, I promptly had all my newsgroups *'d, although on
entering them, everything else seemed to work fine.

I changed it to be a gnus-secondary-select-method, and I get no *'s.

Any ideas?

Mike.

* Re: nnimap doesn't work as gnus-select-method?
@ 2000-05-10 16:16 ` Christoph Rohland
From: Christoph Rohland @ 2000-05-10 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Michael Alan Dorman <mdorman@ironicdesign.com> writes:

> I've moved to IMAP for just about everything except some external news
> servers.
>
> Earlier today, I decided that it made sense to make nnimap my
> gnus-select-method, since, well, it _is_.  So I made the change.
>
> When I did that, I promptly had all my newsgroups *'d, although on
> entering them, everything else seemed to work fine.
>
> I changed it to be a gnus-secondary-select-method, and I get no *'s.

I am running with nnimap as gnus-select-method. It needed a lot of
twiddling and I cannot recommend it:

1) The Gcc: field always adds the gnus-message-archive-method which
   disturb completion and you get duplicate entries for the mail
   groups sometimes.
2) When posting to news groups over nndraft it does not find the news
   server any more since nndraft apparently always post to the primary
   server.

Greetings
		Christoph

* Re: nnimap doesn't work as gnus-select-method?
@ 2000-05-10 17:58 ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 2000-05-10 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Alan Dorman <mdorman@ironicdesign.com> writes:

> Earlier today, I decided that it made sense to make nnimap my
> gnus-select-method, since, well, it _is_.  So I made the change.

I did something similar, with similar results.

On my work machine, I don't want anything other than IMAP.  I'm not
reading anything via NNTP or from local files.  Thus, there was no
sensible choice other than nnimap for gnus-select-method.

> When I did that, I promptly had all my newsgroups *'d, although on
> entering them, everything else seemed to work fine.

I have had a similar problem, and also am unable to use the agent with
nnimap in this configuration.  As soon as I have time to deal with
this, I'll mangle things so that nnimap is a secondary select method.
It feels silly to have to do so, but whatever works...

-Justin

* Re: nnimap doesn't work as gnus-select-method?
@ 2000-05-11 16:47 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-05-11 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Michael Alan Dorman <mdorman@ironicdesign.com> writes:

> Earlier today, I decided that it made sense to make nnimap my
> gnus-select-method, since, well, it _is_.  So I made the change.
>
> When I did that, I promptly had all my newsgroups *'d, although on
> entering them, everything else seemed to work fine.

Did you remove all your "old" nnimap groups (with C-k) and
resubscribed to them on the new server?

All groups carry information about the gnus server (typically
"nnimap:foo") that it belong too, if you removed that server from
`gnus-secondary-select-method' Gnus can't know what server to use for
that group and simply put "*" on the group.

Kill your old groups, remove the nnimap server, stop gnus, add the new
server, start gnus and subscribe to your groups again.  Does it work?

* Re: nnimap doesn't work as gnus-select-method?
@ 2000-05-11 17:24   ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 2000-05-11 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Josefsson <jas@pdc.kth.se> writes:

> Michael Alan Dorman <mdorman@ironicdesign.com> writes:
>
> > Earlier today, I decided that it made sense to make nnimap my
> > gnus-select-method, since, well, it _is_.  So I made the change.
> >
> > When I did that, I promptly had all my newsgroups *'d, although on
> > entering them, everything else seemed to work fine.
>
> Did you remove all your "old" nnimap groups (with C-k) and
> resubscribed to them on the new server?
>
> All groups carry information about the gnus server (typically
> "nnimap:foo") that it belong too, if you removed that server from
> `gnus-secondary-select-method' Gnus can't know what server to use for
> that group and simply put "*" on the group.

I don't know about Michael, but this wouldn't have helped me.  I had
this problem even though I was using nnimap as gnus-select-method
right from the get-go.

Of course, I have had other problems with it as well, as I have posted
in another thread.  I've given up for now on using nnimap as my
primary select method, and haven't yet succeeded in agentizing it,
though I suspect that the latter problem may be due to my own
configuration and is a more easily solved issue.

-Justin

* Re: nnimap doesn't work as gnus-select-method?
@ 2000-05-24 14:47   ` Michael Alan Dorman
From: Michael Alan Dorman @ 2000-05-24 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Josefsson <jas@pdc.kth.se> writes:
> Did you remove all your "old" nnimap groups (with C-k) and
> resubscribed to them on the new server?
>
> All groups carry information about the gnus server (typically
> "nnimap:foo") that it belong too, if you removed that server from
> `gnus-secondary-select-method' Gnus can't know what server to use for
> that group and simply put "*" on the group.
>
> Kill your old groups, remove the nnimap server, stop gnus, add the new
> server, start gnus and subscribe to your groups again.  Does it work?

Killing all my old groups (and losing the associated information) was
not an option, but I backed up my mail directory, and then hand-edited
everything in GROUPS.el, and it's working like a charm now.

I figured out what editing was necessary by starting afresh, and then
examining the differences.

Thanks,

@ 2000-05-24 15:23     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-05-24 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Michael Alan Dorman <mdorman@mallet-assembly.org> writes:

> Killing all my old groups (and losing the associated information) was
> not an option, but I backed up my mail directory, and then hand-edited
> everything in GROUPS.el, and it's working like a charm now.

IMAP stores information on the server side.  (Except for cached
articles.)  Hence, C-k'ing a group and the subscribing it again does
not mean that you lose the data.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* nnimap group parameters not on server (was: nnimap doesn't work...)
@ 2000-05-24 16:35       ` Toby Speight
From: Toby Speight @ 2000-05-24 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

0> In article <vafzopg55va.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>, Kai wrote:

Kai> IMAP stores information on the server side.  (Except for cached
Kai> articles.)  Hence, C-k'ing a group and the subscribing it again
Kai> does not mean that you lose the data.

That's not quite true.  IINM, you'll lose the Gnus stuff such as
banner, to-address, etc.  Marks will not be lost.

If I'm wrong, shout out now.

* Re: nnimap group parameters not on server (was: nnimap doesn't work...)
@ 2000-05-24 21:20         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-05-24 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Toby Speight <streapadair@gmx.net> writes:

> That's not quite true.  IINM, you'll lose the Gnus stuff such as
> banner, to-address, etc.  Marks will not be lost.

Of course you're right!  Sorry.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.