* nnml fetching mail, unwanted
@ 2002-01-18 16:19 Nicolas Kowalski
From: Nicolas Kowalski @ 2002-01-18 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.

Recently (few hours ago) I created a nnml group `edit' for editing
mail messages. I use it to delete attachments for example.

But then I could not see any new messages in my INBOX (nnimap
backend). I finally found that nnml was retrieving all my new mail
messages in one group named `mail.misc'. I have no mail-sources
defined, of course.

What is wrong ?

Thanks in advance,
Nicolas.

* Re: nnml fetching mail, unwanted
@ 2002-01-18 16:24 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2002-01-18 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nicolas Kowalski <Nicolas.Kowalski@imag.fr> writes:
> I finally found that nnml was retrieving all my new mail
> messages in one group named `mail.misc'.

See variable `nnml-get-new-mail' in info://Gnus/Mail+Spool.

* Re: nnml fetching mail, unwanted
@ 2002-01-18 16:35   ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-01-18 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

> Nicolas Kowalski <Nicolas.Kowalski@imag.fr> writes: > I finally
>found that nnml was retrieving all my new mail > messages in one
>group named `mail.misc'.
>
> See variable `nnml-get-new-mail' in info://Gnus/Mail+Spool.

But if mail-sources is empty, shouldn't Gnus never get new mail?

* Re: nnml fetching mail, unwanted
@ 2002-01-18 16:39   ` Nicolas Kowalski
From: Nicolas Kowalski @ 2002-01-18 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

> Nicolas Kowalski <Nicolas.Kowalski@imag.fr> writes:
>> I finally found that nnml was retrieving all my new mail
>> messages in one group named `mail.misc'.
>
> See variable `nnml-get-new-mail' in info://Gnus/Mail+Spool.

I see. I can also see that nnfolder backend also defines such a
variable (nnfolder-get-new-mail)., which is also `t'.

Are all mail backends setup by default for retrieving mail, even if
mail-sources is nil ?

@ 2002-01-18 16:52     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-01-18 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> But if mail-sources is empty, shouldn't Gnus never get new mail?

I think that Gnus uses nnmail-spool-file in that case?  Or has this
compat code been deleted already?

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)

* Re: nnml fetching mail, unwanted
@ 2002-01-18 17:25     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2002-01-18 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:
>
>> Nicolas Kowalski <Nicolas.Kowalski@imag.fr> writes: > I finally
>> found that nnml was retrieving all my new mail > messages in one
>> group named `mail.misc'.
>>
>> See variable `nnml-get-new-mail' in info://Gnus/Mail+Spool.
>
> But if mail-sources is empty, shouldn't Gnus never get new mail?

If mail-sources is nil, nnmail-spool-file is used due to backward
compatibility.

ShengHuo

* Re: nnml fetching mail, unwanted
@ 2002-01-18 17:32       ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-01-18 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Karl Kleinpaste, ding

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> But if mail-sources is empty, shouldn't Gnus never get new mail?
>
> I think that Gnus uses nnmail-spool-file in that case?  Or has
> this compat code been deleted already?

No, it's still there (which seems like a good idea).  But it
shouldn't fetch mail from a IMAP server into nnml just because you
have a nnimap server present.  Weird.  I suggest M-x gnus-bug RET
so we can see any customizations.

* Re: nnml fetching mail, unwanted
@ 2002-01-18 17:48         ` Nicolas Kowalski
From: Nicolas Kowalski @ 2002-01-18 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Karl Kleinpaste, ding

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>>
>>> But if mail-sources is empty, shouldn't Gnus never get new mail?
>>
>> I think that Gnus uses nnmail-spool-file in that case?  Or has this
>> compat code been deleted already?
>
> No, it's still there (which seems like a good idea).  But it shouldn't
> fetch mail from a IMAP server into nnml just because you have a nnimap
> server present.  Weird.  I suggest M-x gnus-bug RET so we can see any
> customizations.

Setting nnmail-spool-file to nil seems to do the trick.
Perhaps this should be set automatically when specifying a nnimap
backend ?

@ 2002-01-18 20:12         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-01-18 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> No, it's still there (which seems like a good idea).  But it shouldn't
> fetch mail from a IMAP server into nnml just because you have a nnimap
> server present.  Weird.  I suggest M-x gnus-bug RET so we can see any
> customizations.

I think it didn't fetch from the IMAP server.  Instead, it fetched
from /var/mail/jrl, which also happened to be the IMAP inbox because
UoW was running or something like this.  Just a guess...

kai
--

@ 2002-01-19 10:32           ` Nicolas Kowalski
From: Nicolas Kowalski @ 2002-01-19 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Karl Kleinpaste, ding

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> No, it's still there (which seems like a good idea).  But it shouldn't
>> fetch mail from a IMAP server into nnml just because you have a nnimap
>> server present.  Weird.  I suggest M-x gnus-bug RET so we can see any
>> customizations.
>
> I think it didn't fetch from the IMAP server.  Instead, it fetched
> from /var/mail/jrl, which also happened to be the IMAP inbox because
> UoW was running or something like this.  Just a guess...

That's it : I configured things for the lab to provide several methods
for fetching mail : standard spool on /var/spool/mail (NFS share),
POP3 and IMAP4.

@ 2002-01-19 11:23             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-01-19 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Karl Kleinpaste, ding

Nicolas Kowalski <Nicolas.Kowalski@imag.fr> writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>>
>>> No, it's still there (which seems like a good idea).  But it shouldn't
>>> fetch mail from a IMAP server into nnml just because you have a nnimap
>>> server present.  Weird.  I suggest M-x gnus-bug RET so we can see any
>>> customizations.
>>
>> I think it didn't fetch from the IMAP server.  Instead, it fetched
>> from /var/mail/jrl, which also happened to be the IMAP inbox because
>> UoW was running or something like this.  Just a guess...
>
> That's it : I configured things for the lab to provide several methods
> for fetching mail : standard spool on /var/spool/mail (NFS share),
> POP3 and IMAP4.

Gnus has been fetching mail automatically from /var/mail/jrl for so
many years -- do you think it's a good idea to turn that off now?

Just for the record: I have Gnus fetch from /var/mail/jrl and I also
use nnimap; but my IMAP inbox is not in /var/mail/jrl.  So the
current Gnus behavior is fine for me.

Thoughts?

kai
--

@ 2002-01-21  9:10               ` Nicolas Kowalski
From: Nicolas Kowalski @ 2002-01-21  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Karl Kleinpaste, ding

> Gnus has been fetching mail automatically from /var/mail/jrl for so
> many years -- do you think it's a good idea to turn that off now?

Gnus had no way to see that my IMAP inbox is the same than
/var/mail/kowalski, OK. I had no way (other than posting to this list)
to known that Gnus would fetch mail automatically when using some mail
backends, without mail-sources.

What I think is that of course Gnus should keep its years old
behaviour, and that a bit of documentation in the IMAP node should
mention it.

@ 2002-01-21 12:10                 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-01-21 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Nicolas Kowalski wrote:

> > Gnus has been fetching mail automatically from /var/mail/jrl for so
> > many years -- do you think it's a good idea to turn that off now?
>
> Gnus had no way to see that my IMAP inbox is the same than
> /var/mail/kowalski, OK. I had no way (other than posting to this list)
> to known that Gnus would fetch mail automatically when using some mail
> backends, without mail-sources.

The `nnmail-spool-file' variable is mentioned in the manual in the
sections about mail sources.  Perhaps you can suggest improved text?  I
guess it could say that the default for `nnmail-spool-file' actually IS to
fetch mail from your local mail spool.  Hm.

> What I think is that of course Gnus should keep its years old
> behaviour, and that a bit of documentation in the IMAP node should
> mention it.

Can you suggest text?  I'm afraid I don't understand what this has to do
with IMAP at all, the problem (as I understood it) was that Gnus fetched
mail from /var/spool/mail when you added a nnml backend.

* Re: nnml fetching mail, unwanted
@ 2002-01-21 12:48                   ` Nicolas Kowalski
From: Nicolas Kowalski @ 2002-01-21 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> The `nnmail-spool-file' variable is mentioned in the manual in the
> sections about mail sources.  Perhaps you can suggest improved text?  I
> guess it could say that the default for `nnmail-spool-file' actually IS to
> fetch mail from your local mail spool.  Hm.

Argh. I did not read carefully this section. Silly me :-|. And no, I
have nothing for improving this text ; it is quite clear once you have
read it.

> Can you suggest text?  I'm afraid I don't understand what this has to do
> with IMAP at all, the problem (as I understood it) was that Gnus fetched
> mail from /var/spool/mail when you added a nnml backend.

You are right. This has nothing to do with IMAP.

@ 2002-01-24 22:03     ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-01-24 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nicolas Kowalski <Nicolas.Kowalski@imag.fr> wrote:
> Are all mail backends setup by default for retrieving mail,

All nnmail-derived backends, I think.  But nnmaildir's get-new-mail
server parameter defaults to nil.

paul