* Milestone break thru - BBDB helper kit
@ 2000-11-03  3:22 Harry Putnam
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-11-03  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

There has been a milestone breakthrough in software development.
The new BBDB Helper Kit.

Have you ever dreamt of being able to type things at the command line
like
`get pizza'
           or
`get Bill'

and have the phone number magically appear before your eyes.

Your dreams have come true...  But of course you'll have to name it
`get' and put it in your path.  Maybe edit the filename, if yours isn't in
the standard place.

Hmmm... probably should mime this up and attach it.... but its just
under 800 lines of code so I guess I'll just in line it.

cat get:

#!/bin/sh

awk -F"\\\(" '
/'"$1"'/{gsub(/[]")[]|nil|\\n| 0/,"")
print $1"\n"$2"\n"$3"\n"$4
}' ~/.bbdb

* Re: Milestone break thru - BBDB helper kit
@ 2000-11-03  9:08 ` Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2000-11-03  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bbdb-info, ding

HP> #!/bin/sh
HP>
HP> awk -F"\\\(" '
HP> /'"$1"'/{gsub(/[]")[]|nil|\\n| 0/,"")
HP> print $1"\n"$2"\n"$3"\n"$4
HP> }' ~/.bbdb
       ^^^^^^^

Hey, it doesn't find my bbdb at <...>;-))

Jochen
    Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité                GnuPG key: 44BCCD8E
        Sex, drugs and rock-n-roll

* Re: Milestone break thru - BBDB helper kit
@ 2000-11-03 14:29 ` Felix Hagemann
From: Felix Hagemann @ 2000-11-03 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Have you ever dreamt of being able to type things at the command line
> like `get pizza'

fx@darkstar:~ > get pizza
fx@darkstar:~ >

fx@darkstar:~ > get diploma
fx@darkstar:~ >

So what? :*)

Bye,
Fx

--
You enter the house at the end of the N/S road.  A scantily clad female
is approaching you.

* Re: Milestone break thru - BBDB helper kit
@ 2000-11-03 17:34   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-11-03 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bbdb-info

Felix Hagemann <fx@coop-x.de> writes:

> > Have you ever dreamt of being able to type things at the command line
> > like `get pizza'
>
> fx@darkstar:~ > get pizza
> fx@darkstar:~ >
>
> fx@darkstar:~ > get diploma
> fx@darkstar:~ >
>
> So what? :*)

Check the entry for A. Clue

fx@darkstar:~ > get Clue

A. Clue
$HOME/darkstar
ls  ~/get

notes . There is an invisible section writen
        in unprintable characters and invisible ink

        if [ -R "$1" ] ; then
           echo ""
           exit
            fi

Check out `man bash'

man bash|grep -A1 "\-R file"
         -R file
                     True only if $USER is a magician

* Re: Milestone break thru - BBDB helper kit
@ 2000-11-03 18:23 ` Emerick Rogul
From: Emerick Rogul @ 2000-11-03 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harry Putnam writes:

: There has been a milestone breakthrough in software development.
: The new BBDB Helper Kit.

Neat!  I look forward to more software breakthroughs like this... :-)

Speaking of BBDB, can anyone tell me if there's a way to force
BBDB to write out any leading zero's on numbers when it writes to
~/.bbdb?  It doesn't do this by default, so querying for a phone
number like 617-262-0008 will show 617-262-8 instead (which is not
completely helpful :-)  The BBDB buffer displays the correct thing, of
course, but I'd like the correct data to be in the ~/.bbdb file as
well.

-Emerick

* Re: Milestone break thru - BBDB helper kit
@ 2000-11-04 12:09     ` Felix Hagemann
From: Felix Hagemann @ 2000-11-04 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> notes . There is an invisible section writen
>         in unprintable characters and invisible ink
>
>         if [ -R "$1" ] ; then
>            echo ""
>            exit
>             fi

> man bash|grep -A1 "\-R file"
>          -R file
>                      True only if $USER is a magician

This must be an older version.  If I expose my screen to ultraviolet
light, I can read it just fine.  Doesn't work during a full moon,
though.

Thnx anyway!
Fx

--