* nnimap, gnus-agent and `/' as a subfolder separator
@ 2003-04-09  9:01 Eric Knauel
From: Eric Knauel @ 2003-04-09  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

The gnus-agent of Oort Gnus 0.17 seems to be confused when `/' is used
as a subfolder separator on IMAP servers. I'm not sure whether this is
a bug:

I subscribed some nnimap groups,
e.g. `nnimap+webmail.macnews.de:macnews/cocoa', accessing them in
`Plugged mode' works fine, so does fetching the articles with
gnus-agent `J s':

,----
| [knauel@albert cocoa] pwd
| /Users/knauel/.gnus/News/agent/nnimap/webmail.macnews.de/macnews/cocoa
| [knauel@albert cocoa] ls
| 1     2     3     cocoa
`----

However, if I try to access this group in `Unplugged mode' this will
happen:

,----
| Signaling: (error "Couldn't request group nnimap+webmail.macnews.de:macnews/cocoa: Invalid group (no such directory)")
|   signal(error ("Couldn't request group nnimap+webmail.macnews.de:macnews/cocoa: Invalid group (no such directory)"))
|   cerror("Couldn't request group %s: %s" "nnimap+webmail.macnews.de:macnews/cocoa" "Invalid group (no such directory)")
|   apply(cerror "Couldn't request group %s: %s" ("nnimap+webmail.macnews.de:macnews/cocoa" "Invalid group (no such directory)"))
|   error("Couldn't request group %s: %s" "nnimap+webmail.macnews.de:macnews/cocoa" "Invalid group (no such directory)")
|   gnus-select-newsgroup("nnimap+webmail.macnews.de:macnews/cocoa" nil nil)
|   gnus-summary-read-group-1("nnimap+webmail.macnews.de:macnews/cocoa" nil t nil nil nil)
|   gnus-summary-read-group("nnimap+webmail.macnews.de:macnews/cocoa" nil t nil nil nil nil)
|   gnus-group-read-group(nil t)
|   gnus-group-select-group(nil)
|   gnus-topic-select-group(nil)
|   call-interactively(gnus-topic-select-group)
`----

I suppose that gnus searches for the mail files in the wrong directory
or gnus-agent creates the mail folder in the wrong directory.

By looking at the function `nnmail-group-pathname' in nnmail.el I
found out that it returns
`/Users/knauel/.gnus/Mail/nnml/macnews_cocoa' in this case.  If I `ln
-s' that directory to the actual directory created by gnus-agent fetch
---it works fine.

However, sometimes (I couldn't figure out why or when) gnus searches
these groups at
`/Users/knauel/.gnus/News/agent/nnimap/webmail.macnews.de', which is
quite correct, but it can't find the subfolder `macnews/cocoa' in this
directory.  It's looking for `macnews_cocoa' there, so if make another
link there, it'll work.  That's very confusing. ;-)

BTW I'm using (setq nnmail-use-long-file-names t) in my gnus.el.

-Eric
--
"Excuse me --- Di Du Du Duuuuh Di Dii --- Huh Weeeheeee" (Albert King)