* Gnus 5.8.3 error
@ 2000-01-31 12:55 Ed Pain
From: Ed Pain @ 2000-01-31 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been using Gnus for about a year and I usually just let it do its
stuff without worrying too much. Today, it suddenly decided to stop
working for little reason at all with the message:

Symbol's function definition is void: gnus-encode-coding-string

I've searched all the relevant man pages and the newsgroup and this string
doesn't even seem to be mentioned. What is more important is that it
refuses to let me check my mail - HELP!!!

If anyone can give me a hint as to what to do I would be very grateful and
a reply by email would be even better if at all possible as I can't read
my news......

thanks very much in advance ed pain

|  Edward Pain 			    1 Abberley House, 56 Worcester Road  |
|  Jesus College, Cambridge  OR          Malvern                         |
|  Tel.: +44 1223 339339 		+44 1684 564998                  |

* Re: Gnus 5.8.3 error
@ 2000-01-31 15:35 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2000-01-31 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ed Pain <96ecwp@eng.cam.ac.uk> writes:
> Symbol's function definition is void: gnus-encode-coding-string

That symbol doesn't exist in 5.8.x.  Possibly you have gained a
load-path conflict, regarding which version of Gnus is used.

In fact, looking at another system with XEmacs 20.4 + Gnus 5.5
installed, that's an old symbol defined in gnus-ems.el, gone in 5.8.

Fix your load-path.