* p0.33, serious buffer confusion/destruction
@ 1998-09-25 15:04 Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1998-09-25 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is a pretty weird one.  I started a fresh XEmacs and used the
`C-h l' "recent keystrokes" to make sure of exactly what I did.  Also,
to document precisely what it looked like, I did some window-dumping,
so precise contents can be seen.  See http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~karl/pgnus/,
where there are 6 gifs, [a-f].gif.

New XEmacs, M-x gnus-no-server, I'm sitting on a mail group.

space .			Enter the group, select 1st article.
			[a.gif, b.gif]

It's a multipart/alternative, generated by Outlook Express so as
obnoxiously to contain both text/plain and text/html portions.
*Article* shows
	[*] text/plain          [ ] text/html
before the text/plain portion.  These labels do not appear at first to
be buttons; they are not boldface, and do not highlight when the mouse
passes over them, the way I've come to expect buttonized things to be.

button2 button2up	On the "text/plain" marker; nothing happens.
button2 button2up	On the "text/plain" marker.

I am offered a dialog box for where to save the html.

t m p / x . h t m l return	File saved in personal tmp/ dir.

*Article* now shows nothing but the buttons line [c.gif]:
	[ ] text/plain          [*] text/html

I want the text/plain portion back:

button2 button2up	On the "text/plain" marker.

*Summary* is gone!  [d.gif]

Not just garbled, or buried, or anything else -- it's not there at
all.  The spot where *Summary* ought to be now shows the *scratch*
buffer, which happens to contain the text/plain portion of the message
in question.

C-/			Undo, and *scratch* reverts to being empty.
			[e.gif]
C-x C-b			Get a buffer list:

 MR Buffer           Size  Mode         File
 -- ------           ----  ----         ----
 *% *Tree*	       41  Tree
 *% *Article*	     1853  Article
  % *Group*	      539  Group
.   *scratch*	        0  Lisp Interaction
    *Compile-Log*       0  Fundamental
    .newsrc-dribble     0  Fundamental	/home/karl/Mail/.private/.newsrc-dribble
 * "*Buffer List*"    359  Fundamental

No *Summary* at all.  [f.gif]

As you'll see in the gifs, I use a very large XEmacs (204x89) divided
into 4 visible buffers:

  (gnus-add-configuration
   '(article
     (horizontal 1.0
		 (vertical 0.4
			   (group 0.25)
			   (summary 1.0 point))
		 (vertical 1.0
			   (tree 0.25)
			   (article 1.0)))))
which displays as:

+------------------------+
|         |              |
| *Group* |    *Tree*    |
|*Summary*|  *Article*   |

--karl

only message in thread, other threads:[~1998-09-25 15:04 UTC | newest]